battery overcharging

2ball

Threads
Briggs & Stratton
17.5hp Intek IC
model 31C707-0154-E1 from 2004

I probably have a compression release issue. (probably not relevant to this thread)
I think I have a battery overcharging issue. symptoms- when I put my volt meter on my battery when its running I got 15.9 volts. I can smell battery acid, I have an issue with my battery connection and corrosion.

My old battery only lasted 2 cutting seasons and I brought it in over the winter and put it on a tender.

I can't get to my mower today its raining. I am not even sure where the voltage regulator is.
Is testing at the battery sufficient?

I bought a new battery and turned in the old battery in for the core charge with out testing it.

I did a engine swap. I am not sure I hooked up the electrical connections correctly. although it starts and runs. The lights did not work after I did the engine swap, but I am not sure the lights worked before I did the engine swap.

Can someone give me some direction?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome
So we need to know what mower you have and what engine was in there before .
Any B & S alternator will go ontp any B & S engine.
The mower maker prescribes what is fitted
Different systems have different wiring connections
Some run AC to the lights some run DC Direct from the rectifier to the lights, others run everything off the battery

2ball

Threads
Welcome
So we need to know what mower you have and what engine was in there before .
Any B & S alternator will go ontp any B & S engine.
The mower maker prescribes what is fitted
Different systems have different wiring connections
Some run AC to the lights some run DC Direct from the rectifier to the lights, others run everything off the battery

Husqvarna YTH1942 42-in​

• Husqvarna 42 in. riding lawn mower is designed for efficient performance and versatile use in every season
  • 19 hp Briggs and Stratton® Intek engine offers powerful performance

I am not exactly sure of the engine that was in the mower before. I believe it was a B and S intek 20 HP from 10 years ago.

2ball

Threads
YTH = Yard Tractor Hydrostatic
19 = 19Hp
42 = 42" deck
Husqvarna YTH1942 parts lists
Go to the above page, change the drop down menue in the white box to "Illustrated Parts List "
Select which year model your mower is and download the parts manual.
First page is the wiring diagram .
thanks, looks like I was wrong I have a YTH 2042. I found some more info, but I cant find my exact manual in the Husqvarna site.

Upon inspecting my electrical hook ups, there are only 3 connections from the Chasse to the engine. 2 clips and a big red cable to the starter.
I think everything is hooked up correct.

I dont care about the lights, I just want to figure out if it is overcharging the battery and how to fix it.

Ujwkmtf.jpg

boatmoter

Threads
Briggs & Stratton
17.5hp Intek IC
model 31C707-0154-E1 from 2004

I probably have a compression release issue. (probably not relevant to this thread)
I think I have a battery overcharging issue. symptoms- when I put my volt meter on my battery when its running I got 15.9 volts. I can smell battery acid, I have an issue with my battery connection and corrosion.

My old battery only lasted 2 cutting seasons and I brought it in over the winter and put it on a tender.

I can't get to my mower today its raining. I am not even sure where the voltage regulator is.
Is testing at the battery sufficient?

I bought a new battery and turned in the old battery in for the core charge with out testing it.

I did a engine swap. I am not sure I hooked up the electrical connections correctly. although it starts and runs. The lights did not work after I did the engine swap, but I am not sure the lights worked before I did the engine swap.

Can someone give me some direction?
when you do locate the regulator, I would unplug it and hook you meter leads to the 2 wire going to the stator and put meter on AC volts, hold engine to about half throttle,it should read voltage,tell us how much voltage and we can go from there

2ball

Threads
when you do locate the regulator, I would unplug it and hook you meter leads to the 2 wire going to the stator and put meter on AC volts, hold engine to about half throttle,it should read voltage,tell us how much voltage and we can go from there
I just need to follow the wires to the regulator right?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boaty has made the assumption that you have a regulated power suppy and not a duel circuit system
The alternator wires plus the kill wire & carb solenoid wire will come dowu from under the flywheel near the starter motor then should go behing the starter to a plug or two.
If it is a regulated supply then the regulator will be screwed to the dip stick tube
If it is a duel circuit then there will be a balck & a red wire and the red one will have a bulge in it just near the plug which is the diode .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Again Boatmoter, We don't if the OP has the 3 amp dual circuit, 5-9 amp Tri-circuit, or the 10,13,15 amp stator setup. The dual circuit generally don't have regulator; although, one can be added to boost it to a 5 amp regulated system.
1683638723189.png
The IPL currently show the dual circuit but they don't always covers all options available for a particular type number.

You must know what the OP has or you just guessing and looking like a fool.

Attachments

• 1683638698774.png
    1683638698774.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 17