Another PTO Clutch Question

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The Ox Clutch replacement is available on Ebay for $162.95 with free shipping. I guess I'll go for that one. Too bad it has to come all the way from Eugene, OR. My grass and weeds in south Louisiana won't wait so I'll put the old one back on in the meantime.
Thanks folks.
There you go using your head on searches. Yes I just quoted the retail on the OX and you can find dealers selling for less. That what procurement is all about; finding the best deal for the product you need.

That is like the CC fuel tank that neither of my distributors had in stock. I found it at Walmart for $10 more with free shipping which was actually $5-6 less than my overall cost at the distributors. On top of that they had it in stock.

LSU-Mike

Threads
After receiving the replacement Ox Clutch (03112-0038) the included installation instructions raise an issue. After reviewing the installation instructions, it appears that my Scag SFZ52 with 19 HP Kawasaki seems to match what Ox Clutch calls "short Crankshaft." The new clutch matches the old Ogura. The instructions call for a "D-Spacer" but there wasn't any when I removed the old clutch. The only time the clutch was removed in the past was when a repair shop replaced the lower shaft seal (about 2 years ago). Should I assume the shop neglected to replace the spacer? The Kawasaki has a 1" shaft and of course won't fit into the .8" pulley bearing. Without the spacer the Ox Clutch instructions state the clutch will fail. Would my old clutch have survived 2 years without the spacer?

I haven't called Ox Clutch yet, but their website doesn't show that they have such a spacer. The Scag parts diagram doesn't show the spacer. Can someone tell me where I can find one (if really needed)?
Thanks

Attachments

• ShortShaft08052024.jpg
    ShortShaft08052024.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 6

Forest#2

Threads
Another thing that I consider is Amazon Prime free no questions asked returns.
Sometimes costs little more up front to get the option of a free MONEY BACK return guarantee.
You get the free return even if it's your fault that you did not get what you thought you wanted.

LSU-Mike

Threads
Why should I return the new clutch when it appears to be exactly like the old one? That's why I'm thinking the repair shop left off the D-Spacer when they replaced the lower shaft seal.

The bolt has a lock washer and 1/4" thick spacer/washer that seats against the pulley bearing. When torqued down everything seems secure (with the old clutch). I guess it's possible that the clutch isn't as secure as it could/should be with the D-Spacer.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Compress_20240806_103127_7272.jpg

Some use the D spacer and some don't. Not sure of your application but this is what it looks like

LSU-Mike

Threads
Problem solved - I submitted an online Ox Clutch form asking about the d-spacer. A reply explained that my type of clutch (old and new) does not require the spacer because of its design. A link to an instructional video was provided that explains this. I suggested that their printed instructions should also explain the exception.
Thanks everyone for your input.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Problem solved - I submitted an online Ox Clutch form asking about the d-spacer. A reply explained that my type of clutch (old and new) does not require the spacer because of its design. A link to an instructional video was provided that explains this. I suggested that their printed instructions should also explain the exception.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Good deal. The Scag parts diagram doesn’t show a spacer. There is just a 7/16” bolt, flat washer, and lock washer.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And to note not all D spacer are the same either which why Warner offers 11 different ones. And I there is at least 5 different wrench sizes needed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the chances of getting a wrench over the pulley and onto that D spacer is less than 0
I have ground out and down so many spannas then bent them to fit it is not funny but not a single one has even been used twice