All else equal: Intek vs Courage single

Bottlerocket

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been browsing some used tractors and it seems like the majority in my price range (<$1500) have either a Kohler Courage or B&S Intek in it. Motors of similar condition and age (hours) which would be the more desirable? The engines would be ones produced from 2008-2012

tybilly

Threads
Been browsing some used tractors and it seems like the majority in my price range (<$1500) have either a Kohler Courage or B&S Intek in it. Motors of similar condition and age (hours) which would be the more desirable? The engines would be ones produced from 2008-2012
tomato, tomato,at that point look for appearance and sound,how well they appreared to take care of it, listen to it,does it sound like it runs good?,is the air cleaner cover look real dirty underneath?how does it sound with the mower deck engaged,not engaged,check the back hitch,is the hole bent like they towed something heavy?..both engines in my opinion are good, hope this helps

Stevie-Ray

Threads
Welp, the guy that repairs small engines here locally says he rebuilds far more Kohlers, especially the Courage, than B&S Inteks. Says the Intek repairs are far more "normal maintenance" things.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My vote would be the Intek over the courage. They had too many problems with the older Courage engines seeing your are buying used. For 1500 dollars have you looked at any new mowers.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

You can buy the one you want but I'd say go with the Kohler JMO. I've run the Kohler Courage 20hp single in the CC 1045 2 yrs and it was a great little engine, sold it with 400hrs. A friend has been running the same Kohler 20hp single engine for the last 5 or 6 yrs and has never had an issue with theirs. I've also run the Kohler 20 and 22Hp twins for years and put 700 to 800 hrs on those and never had any issues. I can't say the same for the B&S.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

I would go with the kohler.
I have always liked briggs until I got a cub cadet with the single cyl kohler. IMO the kohler holds it's RPMs when under a load better then the briggs. And have not had to adjust the valves as much. Only once in over 900 hours.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dont waste your money on either the Briggs Intek and Kohler Courage. Find yourself Kohler command vtwin engine thats on a rider for sale.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every briggs I work on needs valve adjustment I see at least one new one a week

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Big bias here with huge sample size of one, but I would never buy Briggs again.

jakewells

Threads
My gravely is from 2006 and the engine has never had any problems and has never been apart it has a 18hp kohler courage single. i must have got a good one.