All else equal: Intek vs Courage single

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dont waste your money on either the Briggs Intek and Kohler Courage. Find yourself Kohler command v twin engine that's on a rider for sale.

The Command is a Great engine but there's nothing wrong with the Courage. I put just over 400hrs on my 20 single in two years and never had an issue. I can't say the same for the Intek I had though it lasted half a season before it started using more oil than gas, it was junk.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Command is a Great engine but there's nothing wrong with the Courage. I put just over 400hrs on my 20 single in two years and never had an issue. I can't say the same for the Intek I had though it lasted half a season before it started using more oil than gas, it was junk.

I heard nightmare stories about the Intek and Courage from other techs but never experienced it myself. Heard stories of Courage locking up for no warning/reason and Intek throwing rods with no warning/reason also.

jakewells

Threads
only reason i have seen either engine locked up or throw or rod is because they ran a weight to thin or ran low on oil.

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
The older Kohler's. The commands, K model's ect are great. The kohler Courage are garbage!! They have plastic cam lobes. There durability is far less than the briggs. The intek briggs are great engines.

A_tank96

Threads
The older Kohler's. The commands, K model's ect are great. The kohler Courage are garbage!! They have plastic cam lobes. There durability is far less than the briggs. The intek briggs are great engines.

I'd have to put my money on the Kohler. I've got one with 300ish hours, runs fine. The only thing I have ever had to do was adjust the choke plate. Mine is a 2010

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

My kohler courage has over 1000 hours on it. Only thing done was adjust valves. It is a 2013

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have kohler sinks in my bathroom and they still work good after many hours.

Ean

Threads
I would go with the kohler.
I have always liked briggs until I got a cub cadet with the single cyl kohler. IMO the kohler holds it's RPMs when under a load better then the briggs. And have not had to adjust the valves as much. Only once in over 900 hours.

Me to I liked brigs until I go the experience to se one that blew up it had plenty of oil from what I could see if it were older I would get the brigs