Export thread

All else equal: Intek vs Courage single

B

Bottlerocket

Been browsing some used tractors and it seems like the majority in my price range (<$1500) have either a Kohler Courage or B&S Intek in it. Motors of similar condition and age (hours) which would be the more desirable? The engines would be ones produced from 2008-2012

T

tybilly

Been browsing some used tractors and it seems like the majority in my price range (<$1500) have either a Kohler Courage or B&S Intek in it. Motors of similar condition and age (hours) which would be the more desirable? The engines would be ones produced from 2008-2012
tomato, tomato,at that point look for appearance and sound,how well they appreared to take care of it, listen to it,does it sound like it runs good?,is the air cleaner cover look real dirty underneath?how does it sound with the mower deck engaged,not engaged,check the back hitch,is the hole bent like they towed something heavy?..both engines in my opinion are good, hope this helps

S

Stevie-Ray

Welp, the guy that repairs small engines here locally says he rebuilds far more Kohlers, especially the Courage, than B&S Inteks. Says the Intek repairs are far more "normal maintenance" things.

reynoldston

reynoldston

My vote would be the Intek over the courage. They had too many problems with the older Courage engines seeing your are buying used. For 1500 dollars have you looked at any new mowers.

Ric

Ric

You can buy the one you want but I'd say go with the Kohler JMO. I've run the Kohler Courage 20hp single in the CC 1045 2 yrs and it was a great little engine, sold it with 400hrs. A friend has been running the same Kohler 20hp single engine for the last 5 or 6 yrs and has never had an issue with theirs. I've also run the Kohler 20 and 22Hp twins for years and put 700 to 800 hrs on those and never had any issues. I can't say the same for the B&S.

Carscw

Carscw

I would go with the kohler.
I have always liked briggs until I got a cub cadet with the single cyl kohler. IMO the kohler holds it's RPMs when under a load better then the briggs. And have not had to adjust the valves as much. Only once in over 900 hours.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Dont waste your money on either the Briggs Intek and Kohler Courage. Find yourself Kohler command vtwin engine thats on a rider for sale.

exotion

exotion

Every briggs I work on needs valve adjustment I see at least one new one a week

M

motoman

Big bias here with huge sample size of one, but I would never buy Briggs again.

jakewells

jakewells

My gravely is from 2006 and the engine has never had any problems and has never been apart it has a 18hp kohler courage single. i must have got a good one.

Ric

Ric

Dont waste your money on either the Briggs Intek and Kohler Courage. Find yourself Kohler command v twin engine that's on a rider for sale.

The Command is a Great engine but there's nothing wrong with the Courage. I put just over 400hrs on my 20 single in two years and never had an issue. I can't say the same for the Intek I had though it lasted half a season before it started using more oil than gas, it was junk.

davbell22602

davbell22602

The Command is a Great engine but there's nothing wrong with the Courage. I put just over 400hrs on my 20 single in two years and never had an issue. I can't say the same for the Intek I had though it lasted half a season before it started using more oil than gas, it was junk.

I heard nightmare stories about the Intek and Courage from other techs but never experienced it myself. Heard stories of Courage locking up for no warning/reason and Intek throwing rods with no warning/reason also.

jakewells

jakewells

only reason i have seen either engine locked up or throw or rod is because they ran a weight to thin or ran low on oil.

Mower Doctor 78006

Mower Doctor 78006

The older Kohler's. The commands, K model's ect are great. The kohler Courage are garbage!! They have plastic cam lobes. There durability is far less than the briggs. The intek briggs are great engines.

A_tank96

A_tank96

The older Kohler's. The commands, K model's ect are great. The kohler Courage are garbage!! They have plastic cam lobes. There durability is far less than the briggs. The intek briggs are great engines.

I'd have to put my money on the Kohler. I've got one with 300ish hours, runs fine. The only thing I have ever had to do was adjust the choke plate. Mine is a 2010

Carscw

Carscw

My kohler courage has over 1000 hours on it. Only thing done was adjust valves. It is a 2013

Carscw

Carscw

I have kohler sinks in my bathroom and they still work good after many hours.

Mower Doctor 78006

Mower Doctor 78006

LOL...............:mur:

I have kohler sinks in my bathroom and they still work good after many hours.

Ean

Ean

I would go with the kohler.
I have always liked briggs until I got a cub cadet with the single cyl kohler. IMO the kohler holds it's RPMs when under a load better then the briggs. And have not had to adjust the valves as much. Only once in over 900 hours.

Me to I liked brigs until I go the experience to se one that blew up it had plenty of oil from what I could see if it were older I would get the brigs