5hp tecumseh horizontal. on John deere snow blower 826 model

yjownzme

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 5hp tecumseh horizontal. on John deere snow blower 826 model
hello everybody, I am new to the forum as of today. I am a full-time mechanic and I work on heavy equipment daily. So I understand the basics, I am having a frustrating issue with my snow blower. Last season it was very hard to start and eventually became a no start condition. Whenever i pull the cord it backfires out of the exhaust, even when using starting fluid it will not attempt to start, it just backfires from the exhaust. It is getting spark and obviously getting fuel viA starting fluid, I also replaced the carburetor last season with a brand new one. I have removed the flywheel to check the keyway. Everything looks great, I thought maybe I had a stuck valve so I pulled the jug cover off and both valves are closed and good. They will hold some WD 40 for a good half hour or more without leaking.head gasket also looks good.as of now I am completely stuck with this thing. I do not see anything wrong. It is a good old snow blower, very heavy duty all metal with tire chains, I hate to just trash it. Hopefully someone can help me out here thanks guys

Polaraco

Threads
hello everybody, I am new to the forum as of today. I am a full-time mechanic and I work on heavy equipment daily. So I understand the basics, I am having a frustrating issue with my snow blower. Last season it was very hard to start and eventually became a no start condition. Whenever i pull the cord it backfires out of the exhaust, even when using starting fluid it will not attempt to start, it just backfires from the exhaust. It is getting spark and obviously getting fuel viA starting fluid, I also replaced the carburetor last season with a brand new one. I have removed the flywheel to check the keyway. Everything looks great, I thought maybe I had a stuck valve so I pulled the jug cover off and both valves are closed and good. They will hold some WD 40 for a good half hour or more without leaking.head gasket also looks good.as of now I am completely stuck with this thing. I do not see anything wrong. It is a good old snow blower, very heavy duty all metal with tire chains, I hate to just trash it. Hopefully someone can help me out here thanks guys

Heh You and I are in the same boat with these one lungers. . . . We can rebuild a Cummins blind folded, but can't get or little motor to run. Go figure.

Anyway Welcome

Yeah weird one. I was thinking burned valve too. Did you take a compression test on it? Timing? Yup I just found out these old Tec's need timing.

Here's the link to the manual these fine people gave to me. http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecu...NES-692509.pdf

I'm the one with the HS 40 No Spark http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/tecumseh-engine-forum/30477-hs40-no-spark-kicken-my-butt.html

yjownzme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks brother. I'll do a lil more investigation. I didn't do a Compression test. It felt strong to me. But I'm just pretty lost.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Through the many years as a mechanic I started working for Chevrolets dealer on trucks when they first started coming out with the V8s gas engines up to diesels so I worked on them all. You will find that the basic running of a engine hasn't changed much through the years as when they first come out in the early 1900's. Fuel, ignition, compression, and timing. Just the newer equipment now has added a computer to make things run better. Seeing you are a full time mechanic as I was you have to see changes yearly and have just adjust to it. I was talking to a truck driver and he was telling me that his diesel was computerized so they have changed since I worked on them in the early 80's. I am sure that if you start working on these small engines that it becomes a enjoyable hobby which I have found now in my later years. Yes you will learn as you go and make some mistakes along the way which I sure had done. My problem is I added motorcycles to the list and found I love to ride them more then work on them... Love retirement

Polaraco

Threads
Through the many years as a mechanic I started working for Chevrolets dealer on trucks when they first started coming out with the V8s gas engines up to diesels so I worked on them all. You will find that the basic running of a engine hasn't changed much through the years as when they first come out in the early 1900's. Fuel, ignition, compression, and timing. Just the newer equipment now has added a computer to make things run better. Seeing you are a full time mechanic as I was you have to see changes yearly and have just adjust to it. I was talking to a truck driver and he was telling me that his diesel was computerized so they have changed since I worked on them in the early 80's. I am sure that if you start working on these small engines that it becomes a enjoyable hobby which I have found now in my later years. Yes you will learn as you go and make some mistakes along the way which I sure had done. My problem is I added motorcycles to the list and found I love to ride them more then work on them... Love retirement

Hah! Listen to you. LOL I'm retired too

I'm not a full time Mech either. I was one of those people you people cussed out. An electrical engineer. I had a few strokes a couple of years back that took much of my scholastic and administrative faculties away. My mechanical skills started when I was a kid on a farm. I was fixing John Deere's at 13 years old. (I spread my share in those days too) My mechanical skills have been sharpened over the years because I am a car and truck nut. I spent loads of time at the dealer service dept learning too. Today I restore my own. Everything but steering boxes and interiors. They tell me I am above average mechanically. That;s why this little devil is so embarrassing.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Would you please post the numbers for that 5hp Tecumseh?

yjownzme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure if these are the correct numbers. But they are on the rear case.
19-0-155

yjownzme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hm80-155317m

Ser=7112d