54" BAD BOY MZ Magnum (zero turn) Blade Replacement OEM Blades - Blades Slipping

Peva

Threads
  • / 54" BAD BOY MZ Magnum (zero turn) Blade Replacement OEM Blades - Blades Slipping
Mechanical engineer driving manual transmission since 1975. Try me on the physics.

Fact: Idle speed activation of electric PTO shreds belts. Manufacturer says 2/3rd to full throttle when activating.

What the manufacturer says is not intuitive but real world experience supports their instruction. Yet you claim an aftermarket gadget makes it better? How? “Milliseconds” suggests slipping the expensive clutch rather than slightly less expensive belt. The manufacturer doesn’t seem to think this is necessary. Perhaps the blade drive is designed to absorb the shock of dumping the clutch? Motorcycles are designed to withstand dumping the clutch.
"Fact: Idle speed activation of electric PTO shreds belts. Manufacturer says 2/3rd to full throttle when activating."

While idle-speed shredding is counterintuitive, I don't doubt it. Likely some resonant frequency dynamics (as you said - within milliseconds) going on, which will vary with system design/dynamics - see one theory in next paragraph).

My original comment (post #20) was about a non-PTO blade engagement rider mower. I never would suggest blade engagement at engine idle (for one thing, that would stall some engines or at least it wouldn't recover very smoothly - perhaps that's what shreds some belts if it triggered the governor to suddenly go full throttle with PTO clutch/belt engagement friction having already achieved full static-friction engagement) with PTO or non-PTO system. With the old school rider that I had, what worked smoothly was engagement with engine at speed definitely above idle, but not near full speed - what I can safely call a "lower medium" speed. Idle engagement was jerky, and full engine speed engagement definitely destroyed the belts in short order.

As previously acknowledged, PTO/non-PTO - apples/oranges, and answer not necessarily the same for different examples of the same type.

Not arguing or disagreeing with anybody - just having a discussion. 🍻

Last edited: