44P777 Engine Pulley

rrkpitt15

Threads
HUSQVARNA Ez5426 zero turn
Briggs 44P777

I'm trying to pull the motor and this pulley will not come off. It runs the hydraulic pumps for the steering. It's above the clutch.

There is a keyway, am I missing a set screw? I didn't see any on the schematic. I've tried a puller, PB Blaster, and an air hammer. I don't have a welder or torch.

Any tips or tricks?

Attachments

• 20230826_222534.jpg
    20230826_222534.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230826_222552.jpg
    20230826_222552.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 56

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
HUSQVARNA Ez5426 zero turn
Briggs 44P777

I'm trying to pull the motor and this pulley will not come off. It runs the hydraulic pumps for the steering. It's above the clutch.

There is a keyway, am I missing a set screw? I didn't see any on the schematic. I've tried a puller, PB Blaster, and an air hammer. I don't have a welder or torch.

Any tips or tricks?

I doubt it's got a set screw. The only way I know for sure, is to use a torch and heat it up. Put the bolt back in the bottom and use an air hammer.

A video I watched a few years ago, shows the guy heating one up with a torch, then cooling it off real quick with water from a garden hose. Heat expands the steel. And the cold water not only retracts it, but it cools it off enough so that you can get your hand around the pulley and pull on it while you air hammer it. Putting a pry bar on it is risky business if it's hot.

You'll probably have to replace the seal if you're going to reused that engine.

Bertrrr

Threads
There is no set screw , use a 3 pronged puller and put some heat on it - concentrate the heat near the shaft area or you'll bend your pully on the outer area , keep applying pressure with your impact and keep your torch moving.
I don't think a small propane torch will do but maybe worth a try if you don't have access to a real torch rig.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never had any luck using a 3 jaw puller on sheet metal pulleys without bending them. I have used a bearing separator with an air hammer to get pulleys like that off.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Even then some requires heat and I usually destroy the pulley in the process.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Even then some requires heat and I usually destroy the pulley in the process.

rrkpitt15

Threads
Thanks everyone. I tried a pulley puller and it started to bend the pulley so I stopped. If I used heat and the puller, I feel like the pulley would bend alot easier. What the difference between a bearing and pulley puller?

I've tried putting the bolt back in and the air hammer.

I guess I gotta find a torch.

Bertrrr

Threads
Bearing puller will apply force at the thick part of the pully near the shaft and will not damage the outer edges of the pully