247.203744 won't start

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a reason why they call it "electrickery" .
I spent more time explaining basic circuitry to the electroplaters than the chemical metallurgy & crystalography that I was being paid to teach them .
Nearly every one I know had a toy "Dick Smith's Fun Way Into Electronics " when they were young, often before they went to school they were making circuits that made fart noises .
But the do gooders decided the kits had sharp bits that might cut Diddiums precious little fingers so they all had to be withdrawn & redesigned .
hey were hardly back on the market when the same do-gooders decided they had small bits that kids might swallow so again they got withdrawn.
At school electronics gets taught as a really dry mathematical subject that turns most students off because they can not cvisualize it.
IT is really simple when you stop making it confusing
All circuit are essentially a loop from the - to the +
Then we really confuse things with terms like Ground or Earth which have no place in DC circuitry but sneaked in from AC distribution where the actual ground we stand on is part of the circuit because one side of the generator ( alternator to be more accurate ) is connected to a big copper stake hammered into the ground

So you will find things a lot easier if you always think of things as either + or -So to find a short in the - side you need to hook a test lamp to the + side of the battery .
When I first came here I tried to do this but it seemed to get every one confused because the idea that "ground" or "earth" was just closer to the negative side of the battery was beyond them .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just wait until you start seeing AC and DC on the same two wires at the same time. Really throws some for a loopy dee loopy. I use this setup a lot just like I run 220-240 to power 110-120 lighting then maybe need 12 dcv somewhere in the shop too. Of course there is the Neutral that is available .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't be naughty Star we are trying to get his head around MOWER electrics .
A friend & I run a motorcycle rewiring sideline called IR ( Idiot Resistant) wiring .
I find it increadable that quite intellignent people can not understand simple motorcycle ( British ) wiring.
Even easier because just about all manufacturers adopted the standard Lucas wiring codes .
While not being a big fan of mixing signals I do run ethernet over the mains in the workshop & office which normally works well with everything apart from the big laser printer.

There was a small mob in Artarmon Sydney run by sacked CSIRO engineers called Ripple Technology .
They were commercializing the use of ripple control for gensets used on mine camps
They also had a monitoring system that could identify the ripple caused by your neighbour opening their fridge door so you could tell if they were up & OK and not bed bound or laying on the floor .
I came across them when one of my customers installed a ripple monitor to keep track on the avid editing suites to ensure no one was making illegal copies of the movies they were editing.
Freaky stuff.
I can appreciate the theory of identifiable ripples but the technology of identifing my bed lamp from my reading lamp really leaves me for dead.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And in Physics + is minus and - is supply of electrons or +. I studied Physics until I started to understand it then realized just how dumb I really am.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The main thing you got to remember is to not let the magic smoke out or things simply won't work again if you do.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The main thing you got to remember is to not let the magic smoke out or things simply won't work again if you do.
That's for sure.
I always have a hard time figuring out if the circuit is using right handed or left handed electrons