2021 BB Rogue engine struggling

HunterTR

Threads
Hi - Posting here to see if anyone can help with an issue that I'm running into with my 2021 Bad Boy Rogue. I've had the mower for a little over a year, and cut 3.5 acres a week - only residential (not used for commercial). The past couple of weeks the engine (KW 1000) seems to start struggling periodically. It will run fine for a while, then start to struggle like it is having a hard time getting gas. I notice it mostly when turning at the bottom of an incline and trying to go back up. And it's consistently sporadic - the next time up the same hill it will be fine.

I changed the oil a week before the issue started, and it ran fine the week after before the issue started. I've changed the fuel filter and both spark plugs. I always run mid-grade gas in it. When I changed the fuel filter, gas was coming out pretty strong so I don't think there is a blockage anywhere. Haven't changed the air filters, but they look pretty clean.

Any other things I can check before I have to take it to a shop? Thanks in advance!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Manicured lawn or pasture hay?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Drop the carb & clean it
Check for water in the fuel
Faultering when turning is often a pool of water sitting on the bottom of the bowl
Remove the rocker cover & check the valve lash
Kawasaki's are very touchy about valve lash
The service manual is a free download from Kawasaki

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you put gas in it just before it started. Check for water.

HunterTR

Threads
Did you put gas in it just before it started. Check for water.
I usually top it off every week before I mow. Not sure how water would have gotten in there but I guess it's possible. It's been happening for about 3 weeks.

HunterTR

Threads
Drop the carb & clean it
Check for water in the fuel
Faultering when turning is often a pool of water sitting on the bottom of the bowl
Remove the rocker cover & check the valve lash
Kawasaki's are very touchy about valve lash
The service manual is a free download from Kawasaki
Thanks. I'll do some searching around and see if I can find more info to check this.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
engine (KW 1000) seems to start struggling periodically. It will run fine for a while, then start to struggle like it is having a hard time getting gas. I notice it mostly when turning at the bottom of an incline and trying to go back up. And it's consistently sporadic
Indicative of a fuel system restriction/water/carb or an ignition coil going bad. You are losing either air, fuel, spark or compression.
I've changed the fuel filter and both spark plugs.
Say it isn't so......
I always run mid-grade gas in it
87 octane 100% gas at 5 bucks a gallon now is all you need. You gain nothing from any fuel over 87 octane in a lawn mower.
When I changed the fuel filter, gas was coming out pretty strong so I don't think there is a blockage anywhere.
That is promising. Better test is take a glass canning jar at 1 quart size. Drain AT carb into said jar. Fill jar all the way up. Look for water in the bottom as Bert said. Don't spill it. You are holding $1.25 in gas LOL. Nothing but gas, dump back into the tank THROUGH a coffee filter and funnel.
Haven't changed the air filters, but they look pretty clean.
Leave them alone until you have running issues. As in it takes a couple more cranks to fire her up deal. Losing power constantly and running rich - black smoke out the muffkin.

1.So a year old mower. Doubt the cooling fins are clogged BUT you never know. Clean the block and cooling fins. This is a yearly must do item in yours and every other engine manual out there.

2.Test for spark. Old plug gapped at 1/4" wide. Check for nice blue spark.

BigBlueEdge

Threads
If by "KW 1000" you mean the Kawasaki 1000 engine, isn't that fuel injected? There won't be a carb involved if that is the case.

Check your wiring related to the fuel pump and in general on your battery connections. A loose/weak ground connection can cause a lot of flakey situations that are sporadic and hard to diagnose.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If by "KW 1000" you mean the Kawasaki 1000 engine, isn't that fuel injected? There won't be a carb involved if that is the case.

Check your wiring related to the fuel pump and in general on your battery connections. A loose/weak ground connection can cause a lot of flakey situations that are sporadic and hard to diagnose.
Kawasaki make both an EFI and carbureted version of the FX1000