2005 Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 44" Spindle Repair Issue

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 2005 Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 44" Spindle Repair Issue
And I will make that number 3
In any case it still loos like it is going to drive out from the top
So put the nut back on the top And give it a few healthy "taps" and see if it shifts.
The only thing I have seen anything like that is the Ariens Zoom spindle housing which has a similar looking collar top & bottom which threads onto the spindle but that one looks like the spindle pushes through,
@bertsmobile1
The holes where he removed the Allen head screws may be for a spanner wrench. Ariens/Gravely does have spindles that look similar. But, we can’t see the entire assembly and we do not know the model number and serial number of the machine. Oregon and Rotary assemblies that cross to the 10161HD can be purchased for about $75 each.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
That spindle has tapered Temkin bearings and the plate you are looking at is threaded onto the shaft if memory serve me right there is a set screw in the plate. D/C does not supply parts for these spindles so you would have to replace the spindle

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
D/C has changed their spindle to non serviceable ones. I know in the parts break down it shows a long and a short the Silver does not take a long spindle shaft they are all short. new part no. 302585 $143.23 throught D/C

PLL697

Forum Newbie
Threads
H is correct. My 2005 Silver Eagle had 2 spindles with ball bearings that I had overhauled with no problem. The center spindle however had tapered roller bearings and the threaded plate is to adjust the bearings before locking the set screws. I managed to purchase the bearings but couldn't locate the seals. I bought a replacement spindle from Amazon using the DC part number 2+ years ago. Fixed.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thank for the info as they appeared to changed to spindles and the IPLs. Deleting the old setup. What was throwing off was no threads at the plate.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first models of the LT series of the Silver Eagles had that type of spindle. They did away with it years ago and went to the ball bearing design you are seeing in the IPL. They no loner support that spindle with parts. You can still get the ball bearing type spindle parts. The latest spindle is part no. 302585. It is a non serviceable spindle with no grease fitting.

stbird

Threads
Did some more work on the spindle today. Turns out the silver disc with the 2 holes in it actually is threaded to the spindle rod. Of course someone during manufacturing I guess seems to have broke off a allen screw and then put another one on top of it. I finally got frustrated and hit to top of it with a 12 pound sledge and jarred it lose. The threads look ok. I guess I'll find out when I put it back together.

stbird

Threads
Can I get my model number from the serial number? My model number tag under the seat is completely washed out.

Thanks, Steve

stbird

Threads
Model Number is LT2000-44 and serial number is SE6047398. Where can I get the bearings and other things I need to rebuild this spindle? Can you buy a kit or something?

stbird

Threads
The first models of the LT series of the Silver Eagles had that type of spindle. They did away with it years ago and went to the ball bearing design you are seeing in the IPL. They no loner support that spindle with parts. You can still get the ball bearing type spindle parts. The latest spindle is part no. 302585. It is a non serviceable spindle with no grease fitting.
So you are saying I just need to buy a new spindle then because I can't get any replacement bearings?