2005 Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 44" Spindle Repair Issue

stbird

Threads
  • / 2005 Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 44" Spindle Repair Issue
Hello everybody, I just found the forum. My center spindle bearings are shot. I removed the spindle and there is a silver disc with 2 Allen Head screws that I removed. The disc looks like it should come right off but I have tried prying it with a screw driver and pounded on the spindle and it is not budging. Any ideas how to get this thing lose? It is not rusted. The silver disc has two holes in the top of it. Does this require some sort of special tool? Photos attached. Seems that I can't attach the photos because they are too large file sizes. Thanks, Steve

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not at all sure what you are describing
The spindle should push out from the top as it has a flange on the bottom for the blades to bolt onto
Once the spindle is out there are a couple of spacers then a snap ring above the top & below the bottom bearings that retain them
  Silver-Eagle-LT-34,-44,-50,-60--Parts-Manual.jpg

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hope this will help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Could post a pic of the spindle assy? It sounds like someone changed out the spindle with a Scag spindle. Also need a god close image the silver disc and it holes.

As for reduced them down in size to something like 600 x 600 dpi, probably the site has a max DPI setting. Most modern cameras and phones save in very large DPIs which takes up large amount of memory.

And Bert on the spindle assy you posted the spindle comes out on the blade side. The bearings are held in place with snap rings.
1626002426035.png

stbird

Threads
Mine has a different configuration from the video and the diagram. I don't have a snap ring. I'll see if I can take a lower resolution photo.

stbird

Threads
Here's a photo of the disc I was talking about. There is no snap link under it. spindle resize.jpg

stbird

Threads
This is the disc. It had to 2 allen screws in it which I removed. There is no snap link under it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can you post the model number from the serial number tag. Something amiss here as all I can find online is the above exploded view.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you post the model number from the serial number tag. Something amiss here as all I can find online is the above exploded view.
I agree! That doesn’t look anything like a Dixie Chopper 10161HD.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I will make that number 3
In any case it still loos like it is going to drive out from the top
So put the nut back on the top And give it a few healthy "taps" and see if it shifts.
The only thing I have seen anything like that is the Ariens Zoom spindle housing which has a similar looking collar top & bottom which threads onto the spindle but that one looks like the spindle pushes through,