1998 Ford explorer V8 awd for lawn care

boston

Well-Known Member
I'm getting my lisence in a month and im going to be buying 5x10 landscape trailer to tow with the Ford explorer. The explorer has a tow package and the truck has tremendous power for towing. It has the 303 5.0 mustang engine. Anyway the trailer fully loaded will weigh no more than 2800 pounds. The hitch can handle up to 5000 so I should be fine. My question is: is this common or possible to do with this explorer? I never seen landscapers use an explorer for their buisness. The weight of the trailer is nothing for the truck and its basically an f-150 without the bed. I don't want a pickup cuz I wanna b able to fit 5 people in the truck when I do lawns .
 
i don't see why you couldn't use it i have seen these guys pulling there trailers with cars or even have the lawn equipment in the trunk theres no law saying you have to have a truck i have seen them use vans even so you should be in good shape good luck with your venture
 
I'm getting my license in a month and i'm going to be buying 5x10 landscape trailer to tow with the Ford explorer. The explorer has a tow package and the truck has tremendous power for towing. It has the 303 5.0 mustang engine. Anyway the trailer fully loaded will weigh no more than 2800 pounds. The hitch can handle up to 5000 so I should be fine. My question is: is this common or possible to do with this explorer? I never seen landscapers use an explorer for their business. The weight of the trailer is nothing for the truck and its basically an f-150 without the bed. I don't want a pickup cuz I wanna b able to fit 5 people in the truck when I do lawns .

You should be fine with the explorer power wize:laughing:. I would just load everything on the trailer and pull it a little while and make sure the springs and shocks can handle it:wink:. With everything loaded the trailer and explorer should be level with each other:thumbsup:. Not dipping at the bumper and trailer tongue:ashamed:. Hope this helped some.
 
Do u think I should get a weight distributing hitch? The underside of the truck is very rusty so I might have to replace the shocks. I know for sure the leaf springs need to be replaced cuz their rusting out
 
Some lawn care business owners have little cars, so it's not like EVERYONE has trucks, but trucks are good so you can store equipment and grass clippings or mulch in the back. But the people who use cars have trailers (small ones) that don't weigh as much as yours.
 
I use a mercury mountaineer with air shocks.

And the 5.0 is not a mustang engine it is a truck engine has More hp and more torque.

Yes the mustang has a 5.0 but it is not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
I'm getting my lisence in a month and im going to be buying 5x10 landscape trailer to tow with the Ford explorer. The explorer has a tow package and the truck has tremendous power for towing. It has the 303 5.0 mustang engine. Anyway the trailer fully loaded will weigh no more than 2800 pounds. The hitch can handle up to 5000 so I should be fine. My question is: is this common or possible to do with this explorer? I never seen landscapers use an explorer for their buisness. The weight of the trailer is nothing for the truck and its basically an f-150 without the bed. I don't want a pickup cuz I wanna b able to fit 5 people in the truck when I do lawns .

You should be fine using an explorer. The only problem I can think of is that you wont have anywhere to dump the grass clippings or leaves in the fall. If you needed to transport mulch you could always use the trailer or just have it delivered.
 
You should be fine using an explorer. The only problem I can think of is that you wont have anywhere to dump the grass clippings or leaves in the fall. If you needed to transport mulch you could always use the trailer or just have it delivered.

Yeah, that is the only problem I see. You could purchase a bigger trailer than you actually need so you have extra room for the grass/leaves, or just more room for more equipment later.
 
A bigger trailer will work fine a pull a 8x15 and have had over 10.000 pounds on it.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
Back
Top