1986 Toro Riding mower 8-32 with varnished carb problem

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 1986 Toro Riding mower 8-32 with varnished carb problem
Never thought of the dishwasher! Have to do it when she's out, if you know what I mean! Using the monofilament fishing line is a new one on me. Years ago I used soft copper wire just small enough to get into the passages. Used to just push it in and pull out a few times and use a squirt bottle of acetone to flush out the passages. I like the idea of using the monofilament fishing line. No chance of scratching a seat and should make it's way through the tiny passages just fine. I live on a lake so there is always fishing line of several sizes available.
I think that I'll scrub the outside really good, then remove everything that I can, clean out the passages with the fishing line, carb cleaner and compressed air as best as I can, then run it through the dishwasher a time or two. Then install a rebuild kit. In between doing all that, I'll pull the tank and all the lines and shut off's. Clean the fittings all up and put on new lines.
Put on a new fuel filter. Other than final carb assembly, installation, and final adjustments, I can't think of anything else in the fuel system to do. I already changed the spark plug and checked for a good spark. Compression is good. Hope that's it, grass is getting long!
Far as fishing lines goes, mono works good. If you have a stubborn clog use some braided line. That stuff is kinda abrasive but not stiff. Like holding the line between your fingers and reeling the line it. Hurts your fingers in no time.

Most of the time I use an obviously smaller paper clip than the hole size. Mono line works good as it snakes it's way through the carb better than a wire will. Use what ever it takes to clean the carb.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got the right idea pulling the tank and cleaning it up and replacing fuel lines. Reply back on how the dishwasher works out for you. My curiosity is at a all time high. I can clean mine while the Admiral is at work. Lol Good luck, hope you end up with a smooth running machine.
Place the carb on the lower rack. Use some good Dawn DW soap. It's a poor man's parts washer built into your house. Small version of what engine machine shops have.

I put a filthy nasty filthy nasty grimy greasy Jeep valve cover in the dishwasher. Came out clean to the paint.

Remember max heat and most aggressive cycle your machine has.

slomo

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got the right idea pulling the tank and cleaning it up and replacing fuel lines. Reply back on how the dishwasher works out for you. My curiosity is at a all time high. I can clean mine while the Admiral is at work. Lol Good luck, hope you end up with a smooth running machine.
Check this. I have oily skin. Like most people I sweat a lot in the summer. My pillows used to be yellow years ago. Ewwww!!! Now the wife puts all our pillows in the dishwasher. They come out white AND all fluffed up. Don't know how the fluffing feature works but it does. And to add the wife puts 2 pillow cases on my side LOL.

Don't forget those filthy nasty grimy sweaty couch pillows. Come out "smelling" and "looking" fresh and new.

Car floor mats???? You bet. Face them down on the bottom rack. If you can fit it in there it will get clean.

slomo

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Clean the carb and engine prior to removing parts. Will help keep dirt and grit out of the engine.

Clean your engine cooling fins yearly per your engine manual. Neglect this and you are looking at engine damage.

slomo
Good advice.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Check this. I have oily skin. Like most people I sweat a lot in the summer. My pillows used to be yellow years ago. Ewwww!!! Now the wife puts all our pillows in the dishwasher. They come out white AND all fluffed up. Don't know how the fluffing feature works but it does. And to add the wife puts 2 pillow cases on my side LOL.

Don't forget those filthy nasty grimy sweaty couch pillows. Come out "smelling" and "looking" fresh and new.

Car floor mats???? You bet. Face them down on the bottom rack. If you can fit it in there it will get clean.

slomo
Wow. A whole new world. Now I’m going to be looking for things to try. Lol I’ll be sure and tell my wife about the pillows. That’s cool.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Never thought of the dishwasher! Have to do it when she's out, if you know what I mean! Using the monofilament fishing line is a new one on me. Years ago I used soft copper wire just small enough to get into the passages. Used to just push it in and pull out a few times and use a squirt bottle of acetone to flush out the passages. I like the idea of using the monofilament fishing line. No chance of scratching a seat and should make it's way through the tiny passages just fine. I live on a lake so there is always fishing line of several sizes available.
I think that I'll scrub the outside really good, then remove everything that I can, clean out the passages with the fishing line, carb cleaner and compressed air as best as I can, then run it through the dishwasher a time or two. Then install a rebuild kit. In between doing all that, I'll pull the tank and all the lines and shut off's. Clean the fittings all up and put on new lines.
Put on a new fuel filter. Other than final carb assembly, installation, and final adjustments, I can't think of anything else in the fuel system to do. I already changed the spark plug and checked for a good spark. Compression is good. Hope that's it, grass is getting long!
After the dishwasher I’d clean the passages one last time just to make sure the dishwasher didn’t leave anything it broke loose. But I’m meticulous that way.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
After the dishwasher I’d clean the passages one last time just to make sure the dishwasher didn’t leave anything it broke loose. But I’m meticulous that way.
Right

Blow out with carb spray and compressed air both ways each hole. Wear safety glasses when spraying carb spray. As Bert said there's clean and then there's CLEAN.

On varnish, that heat and soap from the dishwasher makes it crack off and flake away easier. Don't know how bad yours is.

Filthy yard mowing shoes, dishwasher time. Brush the grass off first. Pretreat the shoes if really bad.

slomo

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Place the carb on the lower rack. Use some good Dawn DW soap. It's a poor man's parts washer built into your house. Small version of what engine machine shops have.

I put a filthy nasty filthy nasty grimy greasy Jeep valve cover in the dishwasher. Came out clean to the paint.

Remember max heat and most aggressive cycle your machine has.

slomo
Last time I put dish washing liquid in the dishwasher I had suds pouring out. We have an older dishwasher though. Thing won’t die so we can upgrade. Lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before I got the ultrasound we used to boil the carbs
Big pot of water 2 x dishwasher tablets and a nice rolling boil for about 1/2 hour
Then rinse in hot water twice ( two lots of clean hot water from the tap )
Then a third rinse in clean boiling water for 10 minutes followed by a blow dry while still too hot to hold
This allows all of the water to evaporate and the 3 rinses means no soap residue.
Some I know add a rinse aid to the final rinse.
This can be done outside on the BBQ so will not cost you an expensive night out at a fancy resturant when you get caught .

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Before I got the ultrasound we used to boil the carbs
Big pot of water 2 x dishwasher tablets and a nice rolling boil for about 1/2 hour
Then rinse in hot water twice ( two lots of clean hot water from the tap )
Then a third rinse in clean boiling water for 10 minutes followed by a blow dry while still too hot to hold
This allows all of the water to evaporate and the 3 rinses means no soap residue.
Some I know add a rinse aid to the final rinse.
This can be done outside on the BBQ so will not cost you an expensive night out at a fancy resturant when you get caught .
I’ve heard of boiling but never tried it. I could do my boat carburetors and throw the jets in the pot as well I guess.