1986 Toro Riding mower 8-32 with varnished carb problem

davelakeside1

Threads
  • / 1986 Toro Riding mower 8-32 with varnished carb problem
Just picked up a 1986 Toro 56145 riding mower with an 8Hp Brigs & Stratton 191707-2132-01 engine. The carb on it is a 390811 which has been superseded to a 491590.
The mower has been used very little and has been sitting for a very long time. The carb, as one would expect, is really varnished up. I looked up the carb on the B&S site
and it's like $200 with shipping. Looked on ebay and the chinese ones are $30 to $60 with many complaints from buyers. A carb kit from B&S is about $30 #394698.
I haven't done a complete carb rebuild for years, Back then it was a simple take everything apart and spray it down with carb cleaner, put it all back together and go.
I'm not sure about carbs in the mid 80's. Are they still the old style design or are the fuel passages so small that you can't get anything through them.
I really don't want to go the $200 route, I thought that the $50 chinese route would be good, but not with all the complaints.
So any input/suggestions would be great at this point, especially either a good source for used or rebuilt carbs, or a good gallon can of carb cleaner to soak the carb
in for a few days.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing much has changed
Pull soak scrub rinse reassemble
Replace float needle & seat if required

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Your probably good with the kit. Pull the carburetor disassemble and soak it then spray carburetor cleaner through all the passages and a little compressed air. You may have to soak and clean a few times depending how bad it is. Then reassembled with the kit ( should have new needle,seat included). A sonic cleaner is the best if you want to spend the money on a one time repair. Let us know how it goes. Post a picture of the carburetor before you start if you like so we can see how bad it is. Good luck. Definitely stay away from the off brand carburetors they’re a waste of money.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wife's dishwasher is the king of carb washers. Sucker will come out like new. You need heat to help dislodge that varnish. Hot pot scrubber mode is the ticket. Remove float, needle and seat prior, common sense.

For rodding out jets I use fishing line or an obviously smaller paper clip than the hole to be rodded. Bread ties are good too. Zip off that plastic covering and you are left with a really fine wire. Go through the wife's bread tie stash and find what you need.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when spraying carb cleaner. If you get it in your eyes, you will know why I capped the letters.

slomo

davelakeside1

Threads
Nothing much has changed
Pull soak scrub rinse reassemble
Replace float needle & seat if required
Yup, that's the way it was 65 years ago, even with good gas back then, and before squirt cans of carb cleaner.

davelakeside1

Threads
Your probably good with the kit. Pull the carburetor disassemble and soak it then spray carburetor cleaner through all the passages and a little compressed air. You may have to soak and clean a few times depending how bad it is. Then reassembled with the kit ( should have new needle,seat included). A sonic cleaner is the best if you want to spend the money on a one time repair. Let us know how it goes. Post a picture of the carburetor before you start if you like so we can see how bad it is. Good luck. Definitely stay away from the off brand carburetors they’re a waste of money.

That's the way I was thinking. Spray down the outside first to get it as clean as I can then pull everything out and spray it some more until I get a good flow of cleaner out somewhere.

davelakeside1

Threads
Wife's dishwasher is the king of carb washers. Sucker will come out like new. You need heat to help dislodge that varnish. Hot pot scrubber mode is the ticket. Remove float, needle and seat prior, common sense.

For rodding out jets I use fishing line or an obviously smaller paper clip than the hole to be rodded. Bread ties are good too. Zip off that plastic covering and you are left with a really fine wire. Go through the wife's bread tie stash and find what you need.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when spraying carb cleaner. If you get it in your eyes, you will know why I capped the letters.

slomo

Never thought of the dishwasher! Have to do it when she's out, if you know what I mean! Using the monofilament fishing line is a new one on me. Years ago I used soft copper wire just small enough to get into the passages. Used to just push it in and pull out a few times and use a squirt bottle of acetone to flush out the passages. I like the idea of using the monofilament fishing line. No chance of scratching a seat and should make it's way through the tiny passages just fine. I live on a lake so there is always fishing line of several sizes available.
I think that I'll scrub the outside really good, then remove everything that I can, clean out the passages with the fishing line, carb cleaner and compressed air as best as I can, then run it through the dishwasher a time or two. Then install a rebuild kit. In between doing all that, I'll pull the tank and all the lines and shut off's. Clean the fittings all up and put on new lines.
Put on a new fuel filter. Other than final carb assembly, installation, and final adjustments, I can't think of anything else in the fuel system to do. I already changed the spark plug and checked for a good spark. Compression is good. Hope that's it, grass is getting long!

Douglasdzaster

Threads
That's the way I was thinking. Spray down the outside first to get it as clean as I can then pull everything out and spray it some more until I get a good flow of cleaner out somewhere.
I wouldn’t just spray it. If it’s varnished up bad it’ll need to soak. You want to get all the varnish so it doesn’t work loose and clog the carburetor. Then you start all over. I like the dishwasher idea. I’ve got a Yamaha outboard I might try cleaning the carburetors body’s that way. And yes wear safety glasses when spraying carburetor cleaner. I’ve thought I was being real carful before and get a face full from a jet or passage.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Never thought of the dishwasher! Have to do it when she's out, if you know what I mean! Using the monofilament fishing line is a new one on me. Years ago I used soft copper wire just small enough to get into the passages. Used to just push it in and pull out a few times and use a squirt bottle of acetone to flush out the passages. I like the idea of using the monofilament fishing line. No chance of scratching a seat and should make it's way through the tiny passages just fine. I live on a lake so there is always fishing line of several sizes available.
I think that I'll scrub the outside really good, then remove everything that I can, clean out the passages with the fishing line, carb cleaner and compressed air as best as I can, then run it through the dishwasher a time or two. Then install a rebuild kit. In between doing all that, I'll pull the tank and all the lines and shut off's. Clean the fittings all up and put on new lines.
Put on a new fuel filter. Other than final carb assembly, installation, and final adjustments, I can't think of anything else in the fuel system to do. I already changed the spark plug and checked for a good spark. Compression is good. Hope that's it, grass is getting long!
Got the right idea pulling the tank and cleaning it up and replacing fuel lines. Reply back on how the dishwasher works out for you. My curiosity is at a all time high. I can clean mine while the Admiral is at work. Lol Good luck, hope you end up with a smooth running machine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean the carb and engine prior to removing parts. Will help keep dirt and grit out of the engine.

Clean your engine cooling fins yearly per your engine manual. Neglect this and you are looking at engine damage.

slomo