1986 Toro Riding mower 8-32 with varnished carb problem

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 1986 Toro Riding mower 8-32 with varnished carb problem
Yep,
I play the vintage & veteran motorcycles
Some might be lucky to get run once every 2 or more years so the carbs can get quite yucky
Then there are the ones that turn up in boxes that have been sitting for 50 years

davelakeside1

Threads
Cleaning the fins is a great idea. The old motors, that seemed to be needing something done to them all the time, it was common to have the top air shroud off at least once a year.
So when it's off you automatically cleaned all the old grass out along with anything else that collected in there. Today's motors, you don't have the covers off of them so often.
Some covers are buried and a fair bit of work to get them off, but the problem hasn't disappeared with all this technology. Saw a neighbors riding mower go up in flames 2 years
ago. Hot engine, spilled fuel, grass everywhere around the engine, started it up and it burst into flames. All we could think of was an arc from a bad plug wire ignited it.
Luckily, he jumped away quick and didn't get hurt. Moral of the story, keep your equipment clean and serviced, and be careful when refueling!

davelakeside1

Threads
I’ve heard of boiling but never tried it. I could do my boat carburetors and throw the jets in the pot as well I guess.
Works like a champ. Typically this was done on carbs that have been sitting for a long time and all the fuel simply evaporated. Most often the carbs/engine were neglected and not
running right which led to them sitting. Then someone tried to start them up by adding some more gas into the tank and the carb, it didn't start or ran bad, and that gas was left
to evaporate and make the problem worse. Either boiling the carb or soaking it in a gallon can of carb cleaner was necessary to get the carb cleaned out, along with a rebuild kit.
This is pretty much where i'm at with my carb. I was wondering if there was anything new under the sun " a new product " that would cut through the varnish, but in the end,
the old ways are still the best ways!

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Works like a champ. Typically this was done on carbs that have been sitting for a long time and all the fuel simply evaporated. Most often the carbs/engine were neglected and not
running right which led to them sitting. Then someone tried to start them up by adding some more gas into the tank and the carb, it didn't start or ran bad, and that gas was left
to evaporate and make the problem worse. Either boiling the carb or soaking it in a gallon can of carb cleaner was necessary to get the carb cleaned out, along with a rebuild kit.
This is pretty much where i'm at with my carb. I was wondering if there was anything new under the sun " a new product " that would cut through the varnish, but in the end,
the old ways are still the best ways!
You just described the condition of all three carburetors on my Yamaha outboard when I bought it. I had replaced the fuel system from tank To the carburetors and stopped there because it cranked and ran great until I noticed the carburetors leaking fuel. No problem needle and seat (NOPE)When I opened them up I was shocked. I don’t know how it was running. I had to soak then clean and soak again several times. The only thing I didn’t replace was the carburetor bodies them selfs. Jets where damaged where someone had tried to remove them. It took a machine shop. I got lucky the bodies had no pitting and all the new parts went right in. If I would have boiled them things may have went a little smoother. I have a Stihl blower that’s been sitting up for a while along with a straight shaft trimmer that needs a carburetor job. I’ll try boiling one and the dishwasher on the other. Both have my curiosity going. Thanks for the information.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Love the carb boiling idea Bert.

Thing is the wife goes into mommy mode about her pans LOL. I used to cook all the time. Now I'm not allowed in the kitchen LOL.

Think between the two methods, the boiling might be the winner?? Will have to get brave and try it.

slomo

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Love the carb boiling idea Bert.

Thing is the wife goes into mommy mode about her pans LOL. I used to cook all the time. Now I'm not allowed in the kitchen LOL.

Think between the two methods, the boiling might be the winner?? Will have to get brave and try it.

slomo
I’m going to try it. I was just going to replace the two small carburetors I have. But I got to try boiling now.

davelakeside1

Threads
I’m going to try it. I was just going to replace the two small carburetors I have. But I got to try boiling now.
Just be certain to follow the instructions exactly. The dissolved detergent works best when the parts are hot which loosens up all the old dried up deposits. Either detergent or TSP works well.
The last time I cleaned a carb up using this method spray carb cleaner was scarce so we used very small tips on an air gun to blow out and otherwise check to be certain that all the passages were cleaned. Today, I would, after the final boiling hot rinse, use a can of carb cleaner to blow out any remaining varnish. When all done tup some Chevron carb cleaner in the gas to get any tiny
bits of varnish out. Many layers of cleaning may or may not be required but they are easy and far less painful if you have to remove the carb and start all over again!