17 years... it was a good run

primerbulb120

Threads
Rivets, you tell me that my mower is set up wrong. If an authorized dealer listed on the Toro website set my mower up wrong, I am not going to recommend purchasing a Toro. If my mower is set up correctly and is functioning as intended, I am disappointed with its performance and cannot recommend it. Either way, I have a good reason not to recommend Toro.

I may not know how the personal pace system works, but you said in post number 7:

"I work for a Toro dealer and set up the PP mowers. Yours is properly if the wheels do not roll when pulled backwards."

I can't mow my lawn without pulling my mower backwards. Or am I supposed to mow what I can going forward and then mow a sizable portion of my lawn with a weed trimmer? If I use the mower as intended, I can't mow a sizable portion of my lawn. Are Personal Pace mowers intended for mowing only simple lawns? If so, I must rank them below all mowers that are capable of mowing an awkwardly shaped lawn. Since I want to mow all of my lawn with my mower, I don't use it as Toro recommends.

Do you have an awkwardly shaped lawn? If so, do you mow it with a Toro Personal Pace?

As for mowing speed, it varies from person to person. I consider my mower too slow, whereas you consider yours to have plenty of speed. I do not jog through my lawn on a regular basis, because my mower will not let me. I did say that I would if it went that fast. I can understand that most people prefer to walk rather than jog while mowing, and I do not criticize Toro for making their mowers as slow as they do.

I do not claim to understand all the ins and outs of my mower, but as a consumer I would not recommend the Toro Personal Pace.

If the mowers are evenly matched, how about the engines. I prefer the Honda. It is easier to refuel, and its parts are cheaper compared to those of the Briggs and Stratton.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I should have proof read my post #7 better, it should have read "NOT PROPERLY SET UP". I told you how to adjust it. Either loosen the cable, or it is so gunned up with grease and dirt that the key cannot release the wheels. You are going to change your mind, because you have your mind set against Toro and have no idea how self-propel mowers work. If you would have your dealer set your mower up properly, it will roll back the way it was designed. Finally, if you read all my posts you would have seen that I have an 18 year old Toro 3-speed, but I have setup and used the PP mowers since they came out. When they are setup properly and the customer knows how to use them, they make a beautiful combination to getting a great looking lawn.

primerbulb120

Threads
I loosened the self propel cable on my mower, and the self propel issues have disappeared. Although I can now recommend the Toro product, I can't recommend the service provided by Toro's dealers. My mower was fully set up and ready to mow when I bought it, yet it turns out that it was set up wrong. If you had not told me it was set up wrong, I would have been stuck mowing my lawn with an underperforming mower, and it wouldn't have been my fault either. The authorized dealers are supposed to be the way to go if you want to be sure your mower will work properly. When I purchase lawn equipment from an authorized dealer, I expect it to be set up correctly.
My experience with the Toro dealer in my area brings me to one of the following conclusions:

1. The employee who set my mower up did not know how to set it up, because either Toro did not provide setup instructions, or the dealer neglected to train him.
2. The employee who set my mower up knew how to set it up but was being careless.

I have changed my recommendation from "do not buy the Toro Personal Pace mower - its self propel system is badly designed" to "if the mower has a Honda engine, buy it, but do not trust the dealer to set it up correctly. Set it up yourself."

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I loosened the self propel cable on my mower, and the self propel issues have disappeared. Although I can now recommend the Toro product, I can't recommend the service provided by Toro's dealers. My mower was fully set up and ready to mow when I bought it, yet it turns out that it was set up wrong. If you had not told me it was set up wrong, I would have been stuck mowing my lawn with an underperforming mower, and it wouldn't have been my fault either. The authorized dealers are supposed to be the way to go if you want to be sure your mower will work properly. When I purchase lawn equipment from an authorized dealer, I expect it to be set up correctly.
My experience with the Toro dealer in my area brings me to one of the following conclusions:

1. The employee who set my mower up did not know how to set it up, because either Toro did not provide setup instructions, or the dealer neglected to train him.
2. The employee who set my mower up knew how to set it up but was being careless.

I have changed my recommendation from "do not buy the Toro Personal Pace mower - its self propel system is badly designed" to "if the mower has a Honda engine, buy it, but do not trust the dealer to set it up correctly. Set it up yourself."

It's not fair to make all dealers look bad, yes it was wrong however if you took it in afterbyoi bought it they would have fixed it. It may have been set up correctly but during the break in period things shift and change sorry this happened please don't blame all dealers thank you

Mikel1

Threads
It's not fair to make all dealers look bad, yes it was wrong however if you took it in afterbyoi bought it they would have fixed it. It may have been set up correctly but during the break in period things shift and change sorry this happened please don't blame all dealers thank you

This^:thumbsup:

You would have thought he would at least given Rivets a well deserved thank you for helping him.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
This^:thumbsup:

You would have thought he would at least given Rivets a well deserved thank you for helping him.

Poor rivets never gets credit

-turner-

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well. Here we are.

It's May of 2020 - can you guess which mower I'm using?

(Hint: I have a few more questions.... :). )

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably an improperly setup Toro, that is still going strong, except for the belt you had to replace three years ago. Please, what ever questions you have, don’t blame the dealer.