09 snapper RER engine swap intex 12.5hp

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Spark plug seamed to gas foul, this can’t be possible while the engine is running is it?

Seams like w/ engine warm the gas would just burn.

Anyway the new engine had a none briggs spark plug, oddely enough it was putting out a little spark not sure how stronge it was.

Swapped in old engines briggs spark plug and now how ignition, waiting for grass to dry then try her out round 2.

I see 2 types of plugs briggs & champion which is the preferred spark plug for, couple years ago I gave the local snapper dealer $6. for the correct plug so I have the # if the briggs is the preferred.https://www.google.com/search?q=intex+12.5hp+spark+plug&oq=intex+12.5hp+spark+plug&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i10i160l3.33746j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

btw my 04 Johnson175hp outboard engine only likes champion it'll run on a ngk but not optimally.

Intex 12.5hp.

Additionally just observed the SP cap is a press on the twist to keep off muffler (there is a screen loose at the mufflers outlet is this normal the old isn’t like this.
edit: what the oil capcity I poured just under a quart? I only had 5w30 should I drain and use plain sae30weight

Thanks
Are you talking about a screen spark arrester on the muffler outlet?

What is an SP cap?

OIl capacity is around 1-1.5 quarts. Check your ENGINE manual to be sure. Make sure you keep it on the FULL mark. Not over nor under. Check it and ALL mowers prior to mowing. Simple check while you slug in some fuel.

Never use 5w-30 in these engines. Briggs says you can BUT you will burn it away pretty fast. Especially in hot 100 degree temps, not recommended. Use 30w and never look back. You can get a gallon of 30w at wallymart for cheap.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are mowing wet grass, you need to scrape the deck out after mowing.

Slather on your used engine oil under the deck too. Keep it from rusting out especially over the winter.

slomo

The Brain

Threads
excellent tips slomo you the man

so whats the best spark plug she's running great so I hope she continues heres the new used engine
yes I always use a paper inline filter also petcock and always run the carbs bowl dry.

dam didn't know about the deck rusting from underneth dam she doe's live in a shed however the deck is exposed to moisture in the air due to the door doesn't completely airtight , it's a shed I slapped together what to see a image.

I'll know in a couple weeks if she still runs good I will then congratulate myself.
thanks again SM

Attachments

• new engine installed1.jpg
    new engine installed1.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

The Brain

Threads
hello SM did you ever figure out when my new used engine was manufactored?

The Brain

Threads
I would install a paper fuel filter and a fuel shut off valve inline to the carb. I do this on every mower I have.

slomo
second mow went fine hopefully the engine will last a few seasons.

yes I use a inline paper filter & petcock which I close pior to let her burn whats in carbs. bowl.
basicely running her dry. do you Guys do this every mow? thanks for excellent infor.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
second mow went fine hopefully the engine will last a few seasons.

yes I use a inline paper filter & petcock which I close pior to let her burn whats in carbs. bowl.
basicely running her dry. do you Guys do this every mow? thanks for excellent infor.
Every mow, shut the fuel off.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
excellent tips slomo you the man

so whats the best spark plug she's running great so I hope she continues heres the new used engine
yes I always use a paper inline filter also petcock and always run the carbs bowl dry.

dam didn't know about the deck rusting from underneth dam she doe's live in a shed however the deck is exposed to moisture in the air due to the door doesn't completely airtight , it's a shed I slapped together what to see a image.

I'll know in a couple weeks if she still runs good I will then congratulate myself.
thanks again SM
Best plug is a non resistor that fits your engine. I prefer NGK in everything but Champion is just fine in a mower.

Keep the tires at 14psi in the front and 10 rear. Grease the front wheels and if yours has one the bearing on one side in the rear. Valve adjustments yearly to promote easy starting. Clean the cylinder cooling fins YEARLY or more of you are bagging. Grease the spindle kind of hidden under the blade yearly. Keep the chain case and rear diff full of 00 grade grease. Tractor Supply has a quart of 00 great for around 5 bucks.

Keep the deck scraped clean and don't mow wet grass. At the end of the season, last mow, slather your used oil under the deck with a paint brush. Will keep it from rusting over the winter.

slomo

The Brain

Threads
Best plug is a non resistor that fits your engine. I prefer NGK in everything but Champion is just fine in a mower.

Keep the tires at 14psi in the front and 10 rear. Grease the front wheels and if yours has one the bearing on one side in the rear. Valve adjustments yearly to promote easy starting. Clean the cylinder cooling fins YEARLY or more of you are bagging. Grease the spindle kind of hidden under the blade yearly. Keep the chain case and rear diff full of 00 grade grease. Tractor Supply has a quart of 00 great for around 5 bucks.

Keep the deck scraped clean and don't mow wet grass. At the end of the season, last mow, slather your used oil under the deck with a paint brush. Will keep it from rusting over the winter.

slomo
yes I've been using NGK V power TR55 in tow vehicle and my high horsepower Pontica TA
thanks for tips I'll be getting on the chain case after the new tire.