09 snapper RER engine swap intex 12.5hp

The Brain

Threads
09 snapper RER engine swap intex 12.5hp

The orginal engine’s valves are worn beyond adjusting, starter was almost dune.

Now I believe a broken compression lobe of cam.
sure I'd love a honda however I'm swapping the exact same intex.

Seller says next engine runs good it’s a ebay deal.

I think this could be a easy swap I hope.I think the diistance between static drive & bottom of case is the hard part.

Howes a easy way to gain slack in the drive belt so I can slide the static drive disc. Over the belt.
I'm thinking the pulley w/ the L brakect can be removed to get the slack seat belt around engines pulley then tighten belt at the same pulley w/ L brakect. sure hope this goe's smooth I'm allready 2 weeks behind in the back front is still good.
new used engines crank snout/shaft has surface rust maybe a steel wool smoothing?
thanks for advice.

Attachments

• engine removed.jpg
    engine removed.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 10
  • new engine3.jpg
    new engine3.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

The Brain

Threads
nyone know Howes a easy way to gain slack in the drive belt so I can slide the static drive disc. Over the belt.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you get a longer belt that will work with the new engine? Should be able to. Actually you shouldn't need a longer belt. If the new crank is the same size as the old engine, should be a direct swap.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think there was a "taryl Fixes All " video o his You Tube channel about changing these belts, not an easy job
We did not get them down here so not a problem for me .

The Brain

Threads
yes slomo I believe the engine is the same.sure it's a gamble but the top of engine looks very clean.

was planning to reuse the crank pulley and it's keyway. at exact same distance inbetween disc.and bottom of engine case.haven't looked closely yet, not sure how the static drive disc. attaches to crank pulley.

I'm starting to think just remove the belt then reinstall.

hopefully fedx will pickup the engine today arranging a freight delivery o hell no never again.seller was local pickup only. I got him at minium to put in a padded box.
Uship.com total waste of time cheapest quote for a 350 mile transport was $200. plus the 20% fees plus plus Guys avoid uship for deliverys.
so I'm hopping for Tuesday
new used engines crank snout/shaft has surface rust maybe a steel wool smoothing?

The Brain

Threads
installed engine she ran, ran strong did a few laps in the overgrown back then she died not to restart.
right now letting her cool down those few laps wear treating her like a bushhog the grass doe's have moisture.

under deck didn't feel completely clogged will a bunch of moist cuttings cause it to not restart?
Thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
installed engine she ran, ran strong did a few laps in the overgrown back then she died not to restart.
right now letting her cool down those few laps wear treating her like a bushhog the grass doe's have moisture.

under deck didn't feel completely clogged will a bunch of moist cuttings cause it to not restart?
Thanks
Sure if you are cutting jungle with no side sling chute open.

slomo

Last edited:

The Brain

Threads
well I did observe cuttings shooting out the side but it did appear only a small % was being shot out.
didn't think a clogged deck could prevent ignition, can understand a clogged deck effecting the blade turning.

additionally when removeing blade belt under the plastic cover was a bunch of leaves mixed w/ somekindof of fabric threads is this a favorite spot for rodents to setup a nest?
thanks I'll clean the deck. and report back w/ new images.

edit:hopefully the used engine is good.

The Brain

Threads
The Spark plug seamed to gas foul, this can’t be possible while the engine is running is it?

Seams like w/ engine warm the gas would just burn.

Anyway the new engine had a none briggs spark plug, oddely enough it was putting out a little spark not sure how stronge it was.

Swapped in old engines briggs spark plug and now how ignition, waiting for grass to dry then try her out round 2.

I see 2 types of plugs briggs & champion which is the preferred spark plug for, couple years ago I gave the local snapper dealer $6. for the correct plug so I have the # if the briggs is the preferred.https://www.google.com/search?q=intex+12.5hp+spark+plug&oq=intex+12.5hp+spark+plug&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i10i160l3.33746j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

btw my 04 Johnson175hp outboard engine only likes champion it'll run on a ngk but not optimally.

Intex 12.5hp.

Additionally just observed the SP cap is a press on the twist to keep off muffler (there is a screen loose at the mufflers outlet is this normal the old isn’t like this.
edit: what the oil capcity I poured just under a quart? I only had 5w30 should I drain and use plain sae30weight

Thanks

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the plug is gas fouled, you have a carb needle and seat issue. I would pull the oil dipstick and smell for fuel. If you smell gas on the stick, CHANGE the oil ASAP. Get the carb repaired ASAP too.

Under the plastic belt cover, that would be a great place for mice. Remove the cover and clean away. I use my leaf blower after every mow. Blow in there best you can. Also try to blow under the flywheel shroud and all around engine block.

Yearly or more often with high grass and a bagger, you need to remove the top engine shroud. Check ALL around the cylinder for grass, dirt, oil, mice and bugs. Make sure ALL the cylinder block cooling fins are clean and clear. If you have a blob of junk covering the fins, it will over heat the block. You don't want this....... These air cooled engines get to full temp in 1-3 minutes, as in fast.

Wet grass not being allowed to escape the deck can/will clog it all up. It will put a big load on the motor and could stop it from turning depending on how much grass was under there. Grass clumps can bind the blade and stop it from turning. It might smoke the belt too.

I would install a paper fuel filter and a fuel shut off valve inline to the carb. I do this on every mower I have.

slomo