Z915B won't crank, turn over, start

rogerru

Threads
i discussed my problem with a young man behind the parts counter at a john deere dealership after talking to the service dept.. service said bring it in but this parts man was good enough to print for me a wiring schematic and pointed out a fuse link that has been known to be a problem. i tracked it down in the wire harness, bypassed it and the mower started right up. yes, info and solution came from the parts guy. this problem/mystery solved. please pass it on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
does anyone know where to get a wiring schematic for this Z915B?

You will only find it in the full Technical manual
These are available as a digital download direct from JD, but they cost.
Paper copies are available as well for a larger cost.
I can not recommend the JD service manuals highly enough.

Bdboyz11

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm currently having the same issue with my z915b. Got off it yesterday went to start back up and starter would just spin. Now my hour meter is out and I have no power to anything. Any suggestions on what it could be would greatly be appreciated.

EBrod$7476

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm currently having the same issue with my z915b. Got off it yesterday went to start back up and starter would just spin. Now my hour meter is out and I have no power to anything. Any suggestions on what it could be would greatly be appreciated.

Any luck with This? Having the same exact issue.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
i discussed my problem with a young man behind the parts counter at a john deere dealership after talking to the service dept.. service said bring it in but this parts man was good enough to print for me a wiring schematic and pointed out a fuse link that has been known to be a problem. i tracked it down in the wire harness, bypassed it and the mower started right up. yes, info and solution came from the parts guy. this problem/mystery solved. please pass it on.
Could you post the info this fuse link location as it is NOT indicated in the service manual so I can note it in my copy.

Chairborne

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, new to this forum but have been an occasional lurker. We have a Z915b that's about 5-6 years old we use on our Texas ranch. Like many here we've had problems with it not wanting to start intermittently and without warning. Last time it seemed to be the well known PTO switch issue and swapping it out remedied the problem.

When we went to use it for the first time this season on Monday it started right up (I start it weekly over the winter months and run it for about 20 minutes) and we moved it about 6 feet and shut it off. Tightened up the sun canopy and gassed it up, went to start it and begin mowing and nothing. The hour meter would come on, you could here a click at the starter solenoid, and (this is new for us) there was a buzzing sound coming from the two starter relays inside the instrument dashboard. I swapped out the PTO switch and parking brake switch to no avail. Thought it could be the ignition switch or battery. Bottom line, it was the battery- installed a fresh one and all was back to normal. Appreciate everyone's input's on this site, very helpful for figuring out problems that these JD mowers are prone too.

rogerru

Threads
i have 2 Z915B zero turns and they have worked fine until now. one has developed an issue that has me stumped. i hit the ignition switch to start and there is a faint click and a louder buzz but won't crank, turn over. nothing. nor does the hour meter show. the click/buzz sounds like it's coming from under the instrument cover. i've replaced the ignition switch and the 2 relays under there. no change. battery is full but i still tried a jump. i've jumped around the starter sol, no change. the sound it's making is not like a solenoid. it's a definite buzz coming from (i believe) under, inside, around the console cover. i don't know how to use a meter so i replace parts. yes, i'm a parts replacer. i have ignition switch, pto switch, relays , safety switches, etc. i need input, thoughts, suggestions please.
check/replace the fuses on the left lower side of the engine area. standing behind, they're on the lower left and don't look like the every day fuse holders. makes no sense but i had a Z915B and your problem sounds like the one i had and i did/replaced everything you did. i finally went to the JD dealer and they printed off a diagram. i never knew there were fuses there. just a thought.

Born2Mow

Threads
Do you wash your mowers ? Or do they stay parked in a cool moist place, like an un-heated barn ?

Your issue sounds like poor electrical connections caused by terminal corrosion. Rather than brushing the terminal clean, I like to use a chemical cleaner that leaves the protective finish intact on the terminal, and only attacks just the corrosion. Corrosion is brought on by WATER which may come from frequent washing and/or moisture from damp storage places. Your problem seems strange most probably because you have corrosion issues on multiple terminals. That's confusing the electron flow, which ends up baffling you.

There are several anti-oxidation compounds used by electricians. I use one called No-Ox-Id by Sanchem. The smallest 10cc tube is enough to treat 5 mowers. Disconnect every terminal one-by-one and dab a tiny amount on and re-connect. EVERY CONNECTION.... battery posts, big and little terminals on the starter, fuses, Neg battery cable attachments, light bulbs, all the ignition switch terminals, all the relay terminals.... you get the picture.

Hope this helps.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Better REPLACE that fusible link. Put it back like factory. If you neglect this, mower could burn to the ground.

slomo