Worn axles

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And no need to be exact with the slot sizes, just so long as both are the same as you can take the key down to fit the slot on an oil stone .
If the front & back of the slot are in good condition & a tight fit then the can clean ( and I mean really clean ) the slots then use Devcon Steel Putty to fill in the wallowed out section.
No other putty will do the job so forget about JB weld which most Americans seem to think will fix anything & everything ( it doesent) .
Only Devcon will stay there & not crumble under load.
Cut a new key that is full length
When you install the wheel use thick steel washers either side of the wheel and then some thing like nylon to take up the slack .
The wheel needs about .010"-.020" end float or you will get excessive wear inside the tranny

bartles

Threads
Sorry to reply so late. What? JB Weld is not the king?😁 Sounds like a repair path to take for sure. I have not gotten out
to look for Devcon but I'll so that asap...Thanks again!!

bartles

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
JB weld is rather like the WD 40 of the epoxy world.
Devcon is a product designed in Australia ( so it must be better 👿 ) to rebuild the shafts of underground mining equipment that can just not be taken apart in situ . Original use was to build up the region that seals run against .
Comes in 2 types, steel & aluminium and both will do everything on the label easily.
Down side is it comes in big packs and does not keep very well once opened
Up side is it is very very hard once gone off so will not compress like most other epoxies will and is abraison resistant unlike all other epoxies.
Like everything that actually works, it is not cheap so you will not find it at Walmaer. Lowes, Harbour Freight or Amazon.
Down here it is available through engineering supply shops and some automotive repair suppliers .
We have repaired cast iron motorcycle heads with it , many of which are better than 20 years old and in particular the exhaust opening where there is no clamping system and the push fit exhaust pipes wear the holes oval .
There is a POR 15 putty that is a little less expensive that I used to use to repair the Kohler Kracks with before I found a welding technique that worked and of course the POR 15 is a US invention based on their furane resin paints that bullets bounce off.
The down side of the POR 15 product ( all of them ) is the detailed surface prep that must be followed to the letter

And before you ask JB weld will crumble & fall out as several axels that have come in for repair attested to .

bartles

Threads
JB weld is rather like the WD 40 of the epoxy world.
Devcon is a product designed in Australia ( so it must be better 👿 ) to rebuild the shafts of underground mining equipment that can just not be taken apart in situ . Original use was to build up the region that seals run against .
Comes in 2 types, steel & aluminium and both will do everything on the label easily.
Down side is it comes in big packs and does not keep very well once opened
Up side is it is very very hard once gone off so will not compress like most other epoxies will and is abraison resistant unlike all other epoxies.
Like everything that actually works, it is not cheap so you will not find it at Walmaer. Lowes, Harbour Freight or Amazon.
Down here it is available through engineering supply shops and some automotive repair suppliers .
We have repaired cast iron motorcycle heads with it , many of which are better than 20 years old and in particular the exhaust opening where there is no clamping system and the push fit exhaust pipes wear the holes oval .
There is a POR 15 putty that is a little less expensive that I used to use to repair the Kohler Kracks with before I found a welding technique that worked and of course the POR 15 is a US invention based on their furane resin paints that bullets bounce off.
The down side of the POR 15 product ( all of them ) is the detailed surface prep that must be followed to the letter

And before you ask JB weld will crumble & fall out as several axels that have come in for repair attested to .
Thanks! I've used POR 15 to seal a badly rusted motorcycle fuel tank. It worked very well.

I appreciate you help!

bartles