Won’t stray without starting fluid or gas directly into carb

oddcarout

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Won’t stray without starting fluid or gas directly into carb
I just picked up a ride on with a 40777 22hp B&S Intek engine. I was told the starter was bad so I replaced it with one I had. put a battery in and it spun. I put fuel in the tank (previous owner drained it before storing which was nice) and tried to start it. The PO mentioned that he always has to pour some gas in the carb to get it started.

well, I could not get it started so I poured just a little bit in the carb and low and behold it started.

I shut it off and tried to start it again and it wouldn’t, I moved the throttle F to S a few time thinking it might prime it, tried to start it in choke. Still nothing. A little gas and it turned right over.
How does the primer work on these, is there anything I can do to get it to start on its own?

thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I doubt very much there is a primer on this engine. Are you sure the choke butterfly is completely closed when putting the control in the choke position?

oddcarout

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will check. It does this when the engine is warm also.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you just picked it up and found this problem, I’m guessing you have a carb that is probably gummed up with old fuel being allowed to sit in the carb.

oddcarout

Forum Newbie
Threads
Owner told me about it. He had been doing it for a while. He had a little thing rigged up to do it quicker than pulling the air cleaner off. (It has 4 thumb screws)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is amazing the work arounds we see for simple thigs like backing off the cable clamp and moving the cable 1/8" so the choke closes fully.
Bush mechanics ( redneck to some ) is fine to get you through the day but rarely a long term fix.

Forest#2

Threads
What is the complete model, type, code of your Briggs?

This info is usually on the top of the valve cover if that is a OHV Intek.
Sometimes someone will install a valve cover upside down and the info cannot be seen.

smalltimerpm

Threads
It is amazing the work arounds we see for simple thigs like backing off the cable clamp and moving the cable 1/8" so the choke closes fully.
Bush mechanics ( redneck to some ) is fine to get you through the day but rarely a long term fix.
100% true! A fix with sarcasm. Bert is never far from the problem I promise you!

Bertrrr

Threads
It's rare I can clean a carburator good enough to correct an issue like this - usually just change it out with a new one - most are under 20 bux on Amazon - I have installed a primer bulb on machines that previously didn't have one to overcome this type of problem although usually they will start up fine after the initial startup. Yours sounds like a fuel supply issue maybe a fuel pump that is not up to par or a dirty filter etc.