Winter Tinkering

bret

Threads
Is it wise to still tinker with your engines and stuff over the winter? I was told it may not be a good idea to do it over the winter, something about the cold, is this true?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always have a winter project...
Anything with an engine is a great project maker...

Besides during the winter 'most' engine driven equipment can be down while you are working on them & waiting parts arrival... NEVER a need to rush a finish, so yes ... winter is the perfect time to tinker on a project... :smile:KennyV

indypower

Threads
Winter is a good time to tinker with your summer equipment. But not a good time to tinker with your winter equipment such as snowblowers. Because you could need it tomorow like me. We are now getting a blizzard droping 12-18" snow. Not a good time for the snowblower to be torn a part. Mine is ready to go!!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep... that's what I meant by 'most' engine driven equipment...
You should have a summer project to tinker on... that summer project should include power equipment that you need running during the winter... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep... that's what I meant by 'most' engine driven equipment...
You should have a summer project to tinker on... that summer project should include power equipment that you need running during the winter... :smile:KennyV

I get my snow removal equipment prepared by the end of October, and store the mowing and trimming equipment by mid-October. When it gets colder I hate to be outdoors working on things, had to rebuild the carb on my ATV in late November and it wasn't pleasant...I could rebuild it indoors but removing and reinstalling it in 40 degree weather was a huge PIB. I envy those who have a heated garage or barn to work on things in colder weather.

bret

Threads
My father in law used to bring his projects into the basement and work at them there, I am afraid my wife would kill me. I have a small wood stove in my shop and I tinker out there.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My father in law used to bring his projects into the basement and work at them there, I am afraid my wife would kill me. I have a small wood stove in my shop and I tinker out there.

I have a 24X36 basement (older part of house) that is basically a huge workshop for whatever I want to do, but the stairs are too steep to bring any really heavy stuff downstairs...

bret

Threads
I have a part like that, not as big, but the wife took it over as cold storage and food storage so that is what we use it for because it is not heated as much as the rest of the house.

jet62095

Threads
Is it wise to still tinker with your engines and stuff over the winter? I was told it may not be a good idea to do it over the winter, something about the cold, is this true?

It's always good to have a winter project! Just make sure you have the right oil in them. Straight 30 won't make for a good starting oil in the winter.

Travis_R

Threads
Since we don't get snow blizzards down here in South Louisiana:frown:, I don't have any snow equipment... But usually the middle of February is when I do the first initial maintenance to my spring/summer equipment.
On my zero turn mower (regardless of hours), I change the engine oil and filter, check the hydraulic oil, scrape under the deck, change the blades, check/clean battery components, check the air filter, change the fuel filter, check the belts, check air in all tires, inspect mower for ANY leaks, and grease the machine.

For my tractor (regardless of hours), I change the engine oil, check the hydraulic oil, check/clean battery components, check/clean/change the oil in the oil bath air filter, change the fuel filter, check the alternator/fan belt, check/change the antifreeze in the radiator, check air in all tires, inspect tractor for ANY leaks, and grease the machine.

For the tractor's attachments, only real maintenance I have to perform is on the Bush Hog...I check the gearbox oil, grease the PTO driveline, grease the tailwheel spindle and yoke, check/change blades, and inspect the stump jumper.
All that has to be done on the Bark Buster log splitter is grease the PTO driveline.
The landscape rake only has 1 grease fitting.

The most "expensive" maintenance procedure I have is changing the hydraulic fluids on the zero turn and tractor.

It really makes me feel good to do the maintenance on my equipment. It's a "special bonding":laughing: that makes me appreciate what I have.

Travis R