Winter storage

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lithium Ion batteries cannot handle cold weather. The best thing you can do is to keep them on charge, under climate controlled conditions, during the winter.
And they don't like hot weather
Most go critical around 85 C when they spontaneously combust , and people bolt them onto their walls .

Cornfield

Threads
That might work. I’ll probably wait till a second generation electric ZTR. I had an electric snowblower two years ago that didn’t do as well as I had hoped.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That might work. I’ll probably wait till a second generation electric ZTR. I had an electric snowblower two years ago that didn’t do as well as I had hoped.
If you are looking at battery mowers because they are more convienent for you then by all means go out & buy one but don't be fooled by all of the Bull Dust about them being "green" because all they do is shift the pollution form the tailpipe to the product itself .
An e mower has about 1000 times the amount of embedded CO2 in it than a petrol powered one has and that happens before you take it out of the box and that is before we have the disposal problem which most likely will be either to stockpile them then have an unfortunate fire as currently happens to about 1/3 of the old car tyres or they will accidentially fall overboard and end up in the bottom of the oceans like we do with a lot of highly toxic products .
A complex problem can not be overcome with simple solutions .

grikinis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is keeping a lawnmower under a roof but with a blanket enough?

Laiba_shakeel

Forum Newbie
Threads
lithium-ion battery in a climate-controlled storage structure, such as a shed or garage, or take it inside your house for storage. Lithium-ion batteries handle cold temperatures – down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit – better than warm temperatures. Extended time in a temperature above 85 degrees Fahrenheit can harm the battery's performance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
lithium-ion battery in a climate-controlled storage structure, such as a shed or garage, or take it inside your house for storage. Lithium-ion batteries handle cold temperatures – down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit – better than warm temperatures. Extended time in a temperature above 85 degrees Fahrenheit can harm the battery's performance.

Umm I think you are getting your units mixed up here
Li batteries are good down to -15 C after which they freeze which destroys the separators
They will work most efficiently in the 0 to 10 C range after which their performance starts dropping off
Depending upon the exact structure & chemistry most will self ignite between 80 & 90 C
Once ignited they can not be extinguished as the residents of Cal have just found out .
They were lucky that the fire control system worked properly and only 1 pack went up although they are not releasing any more details one source says that more than a 1/2 dozen were damaged beyond repair

whitejww

Threads
If you are worried about the battery I highly recommend taking it out and keeping on a trickle charge in a warm place. I do this at the end of the mowing season and got over 8 years on my last battery.

adam1991

Threads
Lithium Ion batteries cannot handle cold weather. The best thing you can do is to keep them on charge, under climate controlled conditions, during the winter.
Disagree on storing them on charge.

Store them inside (or the equivalent) during winter, at about a 50% charge--off the charger.

Jughead

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the RYOBI manual for their

40V HP Brushless Whisper Series​

Say to store at temps > 50 degrees. I sometimes cut grass at temps < 50 degrees!

I found this reading some reviews about the Ryobi 40V HP Brushless Whisper AWD self propelled mower I was considering buying:

Do Not Buy Without Reading This!!!
Unless you have a climate controlled place to store this, or live in a place that doesn't get hot or cold...DO NOT BUY THIS! It's ridiculous that they are able to sell it. Page #4 of the "Important Safety Instructions" says, plain as day, that you can't keep the batteries *or* mower in a place that gets colder than 50F or hotter than 100F.

videobruce

Threads
The OP never mentioned just what mower and the type of battery pack in use.

Li-on packs should be kept at 40-50% charge when in storage over 3 months. They should NEVER be left fully discharged or charged and never kept attached to a charger! There are plenty of articles on all of this!