Winter storage

Cornfield

Threads
Can you keep these in a cold garage, down to -10F? Will that cause battery degradation?

alloutdoors

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you keep these in a cold garage, down to -10F? Will that cause battery degradation?
If I were storing a small engine that could reach that temperature, I would consider doing the following:

• Oil change
  • Fog the engine, plenty of videos out there
  • Store with a full tank of premium fuel with a stabilizer. Be sure to run the engine a while to ensure it's through the entire system.
  • Remove the battery. I would periodically put it on a trickle charge and keep it from freezing. Also, I would not store it in direct contact with a concrete floor but rather place it on a 2x8 or similar.
  • Lubricate all moving parts
  • I would put something in there to prevent mice from chewing on wires, plenty of products out there to purchase.

Cornfield

Threads
I was asking about the electric zero turn mowers. No need for oil change or fuel stabilizer. I don’t believe you can remove the battery on them.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
not sure on temps. I have read suggestions that Li-ion batts. should be long-term stored at approx. 60% charge.

I have batts. that are 8+ years old and never gave a thought to special conditions - but, they never saw temps remotely that low.

maybe check the manufacturers website?

MowerMike

Threads
No. Lithium Ion batteries should not be exposed to temperatures below -20 degrees C, which is -4 degrees F. You will damage them.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lithium Ion batteries cannot handle cold weather. The best thing you can do is to keep them on charge, under climate controlled conditions, during the winter.

MowerMike

Threads
I was asking about the electric zero turn mowers. No need for oil change or fuel stabilizer. I don’t believe you can remove the battery on them.

Many of them have removable Li-Ion batteries, including those from EGO, Greenworks and Ryobi.

MowerMike

Threads
How heavy are the batteries?

The EGO and Greenworks batteries are less than 10 lbs apiece. The Ryobi batteries are a suitcase style, but I don't think they weigh more than 20 lbs.