will narrow front tires steer easier on garden tractor?

treeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / will narrow front tires steer easier on garden tractor?
I have a Cub Cadet 982 with the standard wide front tires and no power steering. It has always steered harder than I'd like especially when I have to maneuver around trees while mowing. I have adjusted and lubed everything per articles on the net but it sure isn't power steering. Would running narrow fronts steer easier because the contact patch is much smaller? Thanks....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet 982 with the standard wide front tires and no power steering. It has always steered harder than I'd like especially when I have to maneuver around trees while mowing. I have adjusted and lubed everything per articles on the net but it sure isn't power steering. Would running narrow fronts steer easier because the contact patch is much smaller? Thanks....

Yes it would be easier for you to turn the wheels. But will the mower still turn as good? No your just going to plow and leave tire marks.
Put a suicide knob on the steering wheel.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back in the earlier years before power steering the farm tractors front tires just ran on a ridge that they made on the front center of the tires so they would steer easier. Then every so often someone would replace them with a car tire and they would steer very hard. So yes I would say they would steer easier with thinner tires.