Why no gear transmissions?

deck~dragger

Threads
When I was looking at new riders everything was hydro. Not many models left out there with a stick. Understandably the hydro has its advantages with mowing speed and versatility, but probably would have bought a six shift if they had them in the larger deck models. Just something new to get used to, soon I should learn to stop pushing the brake and grabbing for the phantom shifter knob:confused2:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I was looking at new riders everything was hydro. Not many models left out there with a stick. Understandably the hydro has its advantages with mowing speed and versatility, but probably would have bought a six shift if they had them in the larger deck models. Just something new to get used to, soon I should learn to stop pushing the brake and grabbing for the phantom shifter knob:confused2:

Because people are lazy. And don't want to shift gears.

Look at garden tractors. Most still have gears.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And real gearboxes are very expensive to make and will outlast the rest of the mower by at least two times.

Joe public seem to have trouble with the idea of selecting a gear from stop and staying in that gear till you need to change then stopping again to make the change.
Got a bx full of broken gear selector keys from Peerless boxes.

ingigo

Threads
Why do most cars and BIG trucks have an automatic transmission? I do not know.
A vehicle is now measured by its ability to generate AC power, over 10 cup holders and broadcast Wi-Fi to anyone near you.
I get in a vehicle to get away from everything but driving, most just do not want that responsibility now.