Why do professional just hiring rookies without a master tech on hand?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Why do professional just hiring rookies without a master tech on hand?
Some of the newer carbs which I am assuming that Bert is talking about have a 3-1/2 to 4 turn starting point. Normally seen on the friction adjust screw carbs as opposed to the spring tension screws.
Yes it is one of those newer EPA carbs with really fine threads , no springs and originally caps on both needles
FWIW
The initial set up is H =1 & L = 1.5
The final adjustment was H = 1 & 15/16 L = 1 & 3/8
I could never get it to 11,000 rpm
I have a funny feeling that the previous "mechanic" has messed up the jet holes and may have even mixed up the jets
The needles measured the exact same length ( never seen that before ) and the tapers looked visually the same .
In retro spec I should have replaced the carb but we can always do a better job in hindsight & the owner was about to toss the trimmer he just spent 1/2 the new price on a repair that did not work so I was trying extra hard to keep costs down.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes it is one of those newer EPA carbs with really fine threads , no springs and originally caps on both needles
FWIW
The initial set up is H =1 & L = 1.5
The final adjustment was H = 1 & 15/16 L = 1 & 3/8
I could never get it to 11,000 rpm
I have a funny feeling that the previous "mechanic" has messed up the jet holes and may have even mixed up the jets
The needles measured the exact same length ( never seen that before ) and the tapers looked visually the same .
In retro spec I should have replaced the carb but we can always do a better job in hindsight & the owner was about to toss the trimmer he just spent 1/2 the new price on a repair that did not woI havrk so I was trying extra hard to keep costs down.
I have seen the needles the same length but different thread. I have seen them with the same thread, but different shape tip. And in some cases they are identical. Some of style carb use an O ring to create friction on the needles to hold them in place.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen the needles the same length but different thread. I have seen them with the same thread, but different shape tip. And in some cases they are identical. Some of style carb use an O ring to create friction on the needles to hold them in place.
Yes they are all over the place depending on the OEM of the carburetors. Zama seems to holding to a standard of a long and short ones. But honestly I haven't pay much attention lately to the needles as I rarely remove them since I gotten the USC. Walbro did at one time used different diameter screws. And yes some use o-rings used as a fiction device which must be replaced every so often. With all after markets out there, there no telling what we will see in the future.

It is like all different adjustment tools we have to have now when in the past we only needed a couple different ones. I think I have now 13 different ones. I just had to get an octagon tool for Stihl carburetors. And I just wondering when I going have to buy a set Pentagon sockets. Sometime I think all the tool manufactures are in cahoots with equipment manufactures so just we buy more tools.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Although they can kill you. I got a customer that nearly died because of them.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Been married 40 years. You figure it out.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine has put up with me long enough she is up for sainthood. she quit saying " how much was that" years ago and just says "what is it?". I called her once and said go to the bank and take out $800 so i can buy a gun. She just said "OK" . Daughter of a dairy farmer. She knows what it is like to do without and what hard work is.