Export thread

why do people do this type of stuff to there EQ

briggs

briggs

This is what happens when u try to to cobble stuff up instead of doing it right ....The cable he cobbled was only $15 new for the proper one ...Now he has to spend about 150 or more in parts plus Labor to fix it wow the platter is screwed its dented and scored bad the friction dis is screwed and he took the the bearings out as well .....

Attachments

reynoldston

reynoldston

Just what are we looking at?

briggs

briggs

Just what are we looking at?

the drive on a MTD snow blower he used air craft cable with a peace of copper wire instead of the proper cable ..It was way to tight and he destroyed the friction disc and the platter and tore the bearings out as well

Attachments

Carscw

Carscw

the drive on a MTD snow blower he used air craft cable with a peace of copper wire instead of the proper cable ..It was way to tight and he destroyed the friction disc and the platter and tore the bearings out as well

I have seen this happen on a snapper rer when someone adds a stronger spring

briggs

briggs

What a dumb ***. I have seen this happen on a snapper rer when someone adds a stronger spring

i just priced it out 300 in parts and labor...And he has a bad bearing in the front bucket there's another 200 in parts a labor i think hes better off getting another blower ...This one is screwed

reynoldston

reynoldston

...I have seen this happen on a snapper rer when someone adds a stronger spring

Never never call a customer a name. These are the things that keeps money coming to the dumb mechanic that has to use the right parts to make it work right. Yes I agree parts are expensive and sometimes is it worth the repair??? but that I guess would be up to the owner.

M

mowerman05

Why is it in your shop, he appears to be some type of mr fix it:laughing::laughing::laughing:

reynoldston

reynoldston

Why is it in your shop, he appears to be some type of mr fix it:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Why didn't you know it any body that owns a snowblower can fix it and a full experience mechanic. Just come on this forum and you will be told so.

briggs

briggs

Never never call a customer a dumb ***. Theses are the things that keeps money coming to the dumb mechanic that has to use the right parts to make it work right. Yes I agree parts are expensive and sometimes is it worth the repair??? but that I guess would be up to the owner.

yes u are are right about the money part some what ....This guy is a Cobbler and dose stupid **** like this all the time last time he put grade 8 bolts in his auger and guess what happened there about 300 in damage ...And hes a cheap *** to boot ...I don't mind the money at all but i hate when people do this type of stuff i guess its the cobbling thing that drives me nuts .when the y do this its time consuming to fix and takes me away from other jobs ..Yes i have 2 other guys working there but they do tune ups and they easy stuff ..Cant wait to see what he doses next

briggs

briggs

he did this great job at home i guess then brought to me and said it was making a god awful noise ..Go figure lol then it stopped moving lol i can see why ...I saw the air craft cable and was like oh my what did he do now when i pulled the cover off ..I saw the damage and was like ha ha ha cool never seen that before once i get the parts out if he decides to fix it i will post a better pic of the platter it looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it ...It is bad lol ..On those the proper cable is 15 bucks plus tax so round off to 20 half hr labor to install its easy ..Now there 300 worth of parts a labor to be done he didnt save anything doing that that for sure oh well next

reynoldston

reynoldston

he did this great job at home i guess then brought to me and said it was making a god awful noise ..Go figure lol then it stopped moving lol i can see why ...I saw the air craft cable and was like oh my what did he do now when i pulled the cover off ..I saw the damage and was like ha ha ha cool never seen that before once i get the parts out if he decides to fix it i will post a better pic of the platter it looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it ...It is bad lol ..On those the proper cable is 15 bucks plus tax so round off to 20 half hr labor to install its easy ..Now there 300 worth of parts a labor to be done he didnt save anything doing that that for sure oh well next

If he pays when the job is done I would say it sounds like a good customer to me.

I

ILENGINE

I find there is four levels of customers. The ones that don't do anything to there equipment, including change the oil. The ones that have you do everything to there equipment including air up a low tire. The ones that are knowledgeable and can fix all there equipment themselves. And the ones that know just enough to be dangerous. which means you get the equipment after they screwed it up.

Had a 5 HP briggs come in a few years ago disassembled in a cardboard box, with even the piston and rod removed. After reassembly determined problem with engine was it needed a new spark plug. Had MTD rear tine tiller come in disassembled and scattered over the length of a 8' pickup bed. Customer thought he could repair himself, but couldn't after taking it apart.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Wow those pics are rough lookin.

briggs

briggs

If he pays when the job is done I would say it sounds like a good customer to me.

i Dont think he going to get the work done he is cheap lol have dealt with him before ...But if he dose that's cool i like the money lol ..Plus it will keep me busy for a few hrs worst part is waiting on parts lol...I think i am going to order extra for his EQ and put them aside :thumbsup:

briggs

briggs

Wow those pics are rough lookin.

u should have seen my face when i took the cover off ha ha ha my other Mechanic said i had this dumb founded look on my face and all i said what the heck is that ha ha ha ...I can laugh today but i was pretty ticked last night because this guy dose stuff like that all the time and like ILENGINE said they bring it to u after the screwed it up so bad and want u too fix it ......hes better off to buy a one that i have already redone and trade his in so i can wreck it lol ....MOTOR RUNS GOOD tho thats just about it lol

reynoldston

reynoldston

I find there is four levels of customers. The ones that don't do anything to there equipment, including change the oil. The ones that have you do everything to there equipment including air up a low tire. The ones that are knowledgeable and can fix all there equipment themselves. And the ones that know just enough to be dangerous. which means you get the equipment after they screwed it up.

Had a 5 HP briggs come in a few years ago disassembled in a cardboard box, with even the piston and rod removed. After reassembly determined problem with engine was it needed a new spark plug. Had MTD rear tine tiller come in disassembled and scattered over the length of a 8' pickup bed. Customer thought he could repair himself, but couldn't after taking it apart.

That is time to tell them to fix it them self and no thank-you. I find when this happens some of the parts will also be missing. Then you are chasing after them for the missing parts.

I

ILENGINE

That is time to tell them to fix it them self and no thank-you. I find when this happens some of the parts will also be missing. Then you are chasing after them for the missing parts.

If anything is missing it gets replaced with new parts, and added to the repair bill. Not my fault they lost the part, or didn't bring it.

reynoldston

reynoldston

If anything is missing it gets replaced with new parts, and added to the repair bill. Not my fault they lost the part, or didn't bring it.

I know what you are saying here, but its PIA. I find for myself I need to take something apart to put it together. Things like governor and throttle linkage. Something like that is a job wouldn't want to take on myself. I had a person bring me a really old Bolens garden a few years back to get running for them. All the carburetor linkage was missing and the tractor was too old to buy parts for anymore. I spent hours making my own linkage, wiring and a exhaust system for this tractor. I am not that hungry for work anymore.

briggs

briggs

I know what you are saying here, but its PIA. I find for myself I need to take something apart to put it together. Things like governor and throttle linkage. Something like that is a job wouldn't want to take on myself. I had a person bring me a really old Bolens garden a few years back to get running for them. All the carburetor linkage was missing and the tractor was too old to buy parts for anymore. I spent hours making my own linkage, wiring and a exhaust system for this tractor. I am not that hungry for work anymore.

me ether to be honest :thumbsup:

briggs

briggs

Well i called him today and he did not like the price at all to repair it so i might end up with it ...Has a good running 10hp Tecumseh double shaft engine on it

reynoldston

reynoldston

Well i called him today and he did not like the price at all to repair it so i might end up with it ...Has a good running 10hp Tecumseh double shaft engine on it

That is the way the repair business go's. The only thing I wouldn't want here is his old junk. Unless you are running a salvage yard.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Those double shaft engines are hard to find anymore. Tecumseh doesnt offer a twin cam engine anymore.

reynoldston

reynoldston

One mans treasure next mans junk. When I am done with a repair I have no room in my shop to have anything sitting around. I also work right by my house. This is the reason I will only take on one job at a time. I think it looks like hell having old cars and equipment sitting around the outside of someone's house. Ever so often I will have store someone's mower a few days after a repair which I don't like to do and I tell them so. I will deliver it myself before I will let it sit around. What I do is hide it in back of my house with a cover over it when it comes to that. Pay me and take it home I am not a salvage or storage yard. Now that hard to find double shaft Tecumseh sure sound like a nice fat profit for someone but to me its just junk.

Carscw

Carscw

One mans treasure next mans junk. When I am done with a repair I have no room in my shop to have anything sitting around. I also work right by my house. This is the reason I will only take on one job at a time. I think it looks like hell having old cars and equipment sitting around the outside of someone's house. Ever so often I will have store someone's mower a few days after a repair which I don't like to do and I tell them so. I will deliver it myself before I will let it sit around. What I do is hide it in back of my house with a cover over it when it comes to that. Pay me and take it home I am not a salvage or storage yard. Now that hard to find double shaft Tecumseh sure sound like a nice fat profit for someone but to me its just junk.

Good thing we are not neighbors. I have about 30 mowers the run and cut.
Over 100 mowers, tractors, and other toys.
But they are all organized in groups and lined up. I have a old chicken house that is full of tractors and parts and in the middle that I will spend weeks to get to this winter is a 1972 opal gt

davbell22602

davbell22602

But they are all organized in groups and lined up. I have a old chicken house that is full of tractors and parts and in the middle that I will spend weeks to get to this winter is a 1972 opal gt

I have around 60 pushmowers, 18 riding mowers, 20 weedeaters, and 15 chainsaws. Plus working on my 2-3 truck load of scrap metal that needs to go the scrap yard come spring.

reynoldston

reynoldston

We are not neighbors but many miles apart. Yes I do have neighbors with junk in there yard. As a matter of fact I own some of the land the junk is on but a woods separate us. What the neighbor dose I could care less and this is the very reason I get along with them. Its not on my yard or around my house. I try not being a bad neighbor just because I don't want junk around my house. I have seen some very nice yards on this forum and I don't see old car and mowers sitting in them. I keep my grass mowed and yard picked up and very sure not the only person on this forum that dose so.

exotion

exotion

We are not neighbors but many miles apart. Yes I do have neighbors with junk in there yard. As a matter of fact I own some of the land the junk is on but a woods separate us. What the neighbor dose I could care less and this is the very reason I get along with them. Its not on my yard or around my house. I try not being a bad neighbor just because I don't want junk around my house. I have seen some very nice yards on this forum and I don't see old car and mowers sitting in them. I keep my grass mowed and yard picked up and very sure not the only person on this forum that dose so.

Lol I keep the front yard clean :) lucky my neighbors can't see my back yard with my truck and trailer parked back there 2 old lawn tractors and 4 lawn mowers and extra tires for my truck lol

reynoldston

reynoldston

Lol I keep the front yard clean :) lucky my neighbors can't see my back yard with my truck and trailer parked back there 2 old lawn tractors and 4 lawn mowers and extra tires for my truck lol

Got to be a little rough on the truck tires laying in your lawn.

Carscw

Carscw

Was not trying to say you was a bad neighbor.
I actually have a very nice manicured yard
You would never know I had all this stuff driving past my house.

exotion

exotion

Got to be a little rough on the truck tires laying in your lawn.

They are on a pallet under a tarp :)

briggs

briggs

That is the way the repair business go's. The only thing I wouldn't want here is his old junk. Unless you are running a salvage yard.

Nope i will pull the engine and junk the rest its screwed not worth me fixing ..May keep the bucket for the auger tahts it ......I have about 9 blowers in a day for repair and i have 2 other guys working for me ...We bang out about 7 a day if we dont need parts .....No shortage of work here plus i get Generators wood spliters etc lots to do ..I work about 16 hrs a day myself my other guys do 8

briggs

briggs

right now i have 9 in the shop and 6 outside waiting got my *** kicked this week wow

reynoldston

reynoldston

right now i have 9 in the shop and 6 outside waiting got my *** kicked this week wow

It sounds like my younger years. The only thing different I worked on cars and trucks. I would work for the dealer all day and at night work at home in my own shop. When I was putting in all them hours working that was all I had time for. How in the world you do have all this time to be writing on the computer because when I was putting in all them hours it wouldn't be something I would of did. I also found it didn't make much time for a family life. Also I found the more money I made the more I would spend so I never got ahead on anything. I don't miss working all the time, oh by the way your body will start giving out in your older years also like your knees and back.

briggs

briggs

It sounds like my younger years. The only thing different I worked on cars and trucks. I would work for the dealer all day and at night work at home in my own shop. When I was putting in all them hours working that was all I had time for. How in the world you do have all this time to be writing on the computer because when I was putting in all them hours it wouldn't be something I would of did. I also found it didn't make much time for a family life. Also I found the more money I made the more I would spend so I never got ahead on anything. I don't miss working all the time, oh by the way your body will start giving out in your older years also like your knees and back.

Used to work on cars also am a class A mac gave it up hated it .....left the wife last year got all the free time in the world But she still gets paid lol.....
i type most of this out while i am eating then i crash ...As for my body its screwed already ha ha h between work and my truck accident i am a sore little man ..But it keeps me busy thats why i have 2 other people there but i do all the hard stuff the easy **** lol......sold motor today for 250 complete that didnt last long

reynoldston

reynoldston

Used to work on cars also am a class A mac gave it up hated it .....left the wife last year got all the free time in the world But she still gets paid lol.....
i type most of this out while i am eating then i crash ...As for my body its screwed already ha ha h between work and my truck accident i am a sore little man ..But it keeps me busy thats why i have 2 other people there but i do all the hard stuff the easy **** lol......sold motor today for 250 complete that didnt last long

Through the years I found that working on trucks was where the money was to be made. They would want them fixed at no matter the cost. Cars were always a PITA because the customer was always looking at what dose it cost. Now that I am older I wouldn't do any of that type of work anymore. Lawn equipment and motorcycles is as big as I want to go. Been doing small customer jobs in my wood shop lately like repairing some chairs and a women wants some bird houses made. No oil and grease on my hands working with wood.

briggs

briggs

Through the years I found that working on trucks was where the money was to be made. They would want them fixed at no matter the cost. Cars were always a PITA because the customer was always looking at what dose it cost. Now that I am older I wouldn't do any of that type of work anymore. Lawn equipment and motorcycles is as big as I want to go. Been doing small customer jobs in my wood shop lately like repairing some chairs and a women wants some bird houses made. No oil and grease on my hands working with wood.

lol i don't do wood i am 100% grease monkey lol

Carscw

Carscw

I wish I had the skill to justify a wood shop.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I wish I had the skill to justify a wood shop.

When I was younger and anything I had to do with wood I had two left thumbs. I was given a old table saw and for some reason I started to make bird houses. It got to the point on just how many bird houses would anyone want. So after that I bought a new table saw and many more tools. Now its got to a hobby I enjoy doing but its hobby that comes and go's as I feel like doing it.

B

Blaine B.

Maybe he jerry rigged it because it was a choice between having no drive at all or having drive ability to clear some snow?

I would jerry rig it as well to get the job done then and there.