What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
  • / What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?
No blade strike. Spark plug looks good. Picture taken. Replaced plug--->. still won't start. Two local repair shops not answering the phone. This mower its at least 15 years old and I'm not skilled enough to repair it myself. Some of your repair troubleshooting is like a foreign language!!

Thinking of getting a battery-operated self-propelled mower, such as

• Ryobi 40V Brushless 20 inch with 6.0 Ah Battery and Charger. ($429)
• Greenworks 40V. 21" with 5.0 Ah battery & charger ($359)
• EGO Power. 21". 56 V. 5.0Ah
• Greenworks 48V. 17". 4.0 Ah. ($239)

Any comments or suggestions?
I am not a battery supporter by any means, however, if you are mowing 1500 square feet, it will work fine. A quarter of an acre (normal size city lot, is about 10,500 square feet. You could get a couple of pet rabbits to keep your yard down it is so small.

GearHead36

Threads
  • / What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?
I am not a battery supporter by any means, however, if you are mowing 1500 square feet, it will work fine. A quarter of an acre (normal size city lot, is about 10,500 square feet. You could get a couple of pet rabbits to keep your yard down it is so small.
Same here. I almost always prefer and recommend gas equipment. But for a lawn this size, they could even use a reel mower. No gas AND no battery.

MowerMark

Threads
Oh my. I pushed the mower from the front yard to the backyard. Tried starting it again - - - no go. I then went to roll the mower into the shed and look what was left on the walkway. The blades. Turned the mower on its side and took a picture of the shaft from which the blades were attached. I could not find the bolt head or any other hardware oin the b ricks (other than the blades). There's a groove channel on both the shaft and the blades, like there might be a piece of metal which went into the channels.

1. Would the blades breaking off cause the mower not to start?
2. What caused this?
3. Is this breakage entirely a different issue than the failure of the motor to start?
4. Given today's new finding, is this mower still worth repairing?

Attachments

• thumbnail-14.jpeg
    thumbnail-14.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 38
  • thumbnail-15.jpeg
    thumbnail-15.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 40

gearz

Forum Newbie
Threads
You probably bent the crankshaft. Your not in the recall. You would have to start taking things apart and looking into internal problems. I wouldn't buy a new Honda seeing there getting out of the lawnmower business. Good luck

MowerMark

Threads
Excellent point re: Honda discontinuing mowers.
I'm not skilled in mechanical stuff. I shall try the EGO 21" battery mower since there's <1,500 sq. ft.

Can you make these two problems into a unified problem, viz the pull-back of the cord AND the blades coming off?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes it can they put light flywheels Then the blades acts as a flywheel.