What's missing in this picture?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
what is the serial number? very little comes up on 917380290. What does shows most items on it are obsolete.

StvnJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ll bet that if you look on the engine ID tag you’ll find that the engines are different. You’ll also find that the linkage is different.

StvnJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I have to admit it runs great without an adjustment lever. It just idols fast. I put a forceps on it. That's all I need. Thanks for answering my question! Have a great weekend!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
well the original engine was 143.995502 (Tecumseh LEV115-355016D). None of the ipls even list the part shown as available. It is shown in the line drawings but not the part list.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
well the original engine was 143.995502 (Tecumseh LEV115-355016D). None of the ipls even list the part shown as available. It is shown in the line drawings but not the part list.
But it does show the 33086 rpm adjusting lever on diagram two. Which is the arm that connects to the intake manifold for fixed speed engines.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes I don't know Tecumseh very well at all. They were a dead breed when I started repairing these engines.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Some engines have speed controls and some don't. Yours doesn't. Pretty common on Craftsman mowers. Nothing is missing. I really never understood a speed control on a push mower. Why would you ever run the engine at less than full speed?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some engines have speed controls and some don't. Yours doesn't. Pretty common on Craftsman mowers. Nothing is missing. I really never understood a speed control on a push mower. Why would you ever run the engine at less than full speed?
you idle them down when moving stuff from the lawn , which of course you should have done before you started, moving garden furnature so you can mow underneath them or emptying the catcher
All good reasons to idle down an engine that does not have an "I AM THE STUPIDIST MORON ON THE PLANET" dead mans ignition that 99.9999% of the people tape to the bras in any case because it strains their fingers or gives them blisters.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sears pioneered the cheapest pushmower movement. A mower without a throttle control and an engine with no ability to vary the speed is cheaper to make. It works just fine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sears pioneered the cheapest pushmower movement. A mower without a throttle control and an engine with no ability to vary the speed is cheaper to make. It works just fine.
The no throttle control on push mowers because a big thing following the EPA emissions standards of 2004, In order for the engine to meet emission standards it had to pass exhaust requirements throughout it entire throttle range. Easily to meet those standards with a fixed throttle engine. When this occurred I had several customers that tried to bypass the fixed throttle control, and in some cases added throttle cables. But wouldn't work correctly because those engines also lacked the idle circuit in the carb so would run like crap at lower that expected rpm's