Export thread

WHAT TIME OF DAY IS APPROPRIATE TO START MOWING?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

When is the earliest you should start mowing on the weekdays? How about Saturdays? And Sundays?
Over the summer I started on weekdays at 7:30a.m. On Saturdays I start at 9:30-10:00 and on Sundays, I try to do it after lunch.

Ric

Ric

When is the earliest you should start mowing on the weekdays? How about Saturdays? And Sundays?
Over the summer I started on weekdays at 7:30a.m. On Saturdays I start at 9:30-10:00 and on Sundays, I try to do it after lunch.

I start on weekdays Monday thru Saturday at 7:30a.m. On Sunday I don't mow. I leave people alone unless it's a request.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

WOW! You start at 7:30 on a Saturday? Around here you would be hated if you did that!

midnite rider

midnite rider

:
WOW! You start at 7:30 on a Saturday? Around here you would be hated if you did that!

What time is appropriate to some is not to others. For example a lot of people do not work on the Sabbeth day at all. :shocked:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

:

What time is appropriate to some is not to others. For example a lot of people do not work on the Sabbeth day at all. :shocked:

True....True.....

exotion

exotion

I find that if I arrive at my first Job at 8 it is late enough even the people who sleep in cant complain to much. As for weekends... I am to good for weekends

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I start at 7:30 in the summer because I want to get a lot done before it gets too hot.......most people in my neighborhood work, so they are up and out, and the people who sleep in....well...hopefully they are sound sleepers! :laughing:

C

CZLawnCare

You really gotta stop thinking youre better then everyone on the forum, youre not to good for weekends, if you had enough work believe me you'd work weekends

Carscw

Carscw

I start as soon as the dew is off the grass.

I have never understood why some want to start as soon as the sun comes up then be done before 2.
I wait for the dew to be gone cutting wet grass leaves brown tips.
And I work till dark and never on a Sunday that's just asking for trouble

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

exotion

exotion

You really gotta stop thinking youre better then everyone on the forum, youre not to good for weekends, if you had enough work believe me you'd work weekends

In no way do I think I am any better than any of you. My plans for my business is to fill up 4 8 hour days mon - thurs with mows and fri with other landscape maintence jobs 8 hrs I do not want my company to get any bigger.

I do not think I am better than any of you... really :/ im just a 23 year old who kinda knows what he is doing.

A

Ariena

exotion said:
I do not think I am better than any of you... really :/ im just a 23 year old who kinda knows what he is doing.

Kinda makes the case, doesn't it?

Ric

Ric

In no way do I think I am any better than any of you. My plans for my business is to fill up 4 8 hour days mon - thurs with mows and fri with other landscape maintence jobs 8 hrs I do not want my company to get any bigger.

I thought the object of being a business owner and operator, working for yourself was so you could work the days and hours you want to work.

Your work schedule sounds like you have a game plan and if you and your clients are happy I'd stay with.

A

Ariena

exotion said:
I find that if I arrive at my first Job at 8 it is late enough even the people who sleep in cant complain to much. As for weekends... I am to good for weekends

The difficulty here is, if someone is offended by the noise at 8 o'clock in the morning, they will be sure to take note who is making the noise. This leads to negative word of mouth advertising which leads to loss of existing clients or the loss of potential clients. As we know, word of mouth advertising in this business (positive or negative) is the most effective method of advertising.
However, this young lad will soon learn that his desire for weekends off may lead to three or four days off due to lack of business. Let's just hope it's his naïveté and not a trash and burn business policy.

Ric

Ric

The difficulty here is, if someone is offended by the noise at 8 o'clock in the morning, they will be sure to take note who is making the noise. This leads to negative word of mouth advertising which leads to loss of existing clients or the loss of potential clients. As we know, word of mouth advertising in this business (positive or negative) is the most effective method of advertising.
However, this young lad will soon learn that his desire for weekends off may lead to three or four days off due to lack of business. Let's just hope it's his na?et and not a trash and burn business policy.

You say the difficulty here is, if someone is offended by the noise at 8 o'clock in the morning and it could lead to negative word of mouth advertising. Most word of mouth advertising will come from the clients themselves to the surrounding
neighborhood and will be achieved by the work preformed by the individual or business.
The greatest percentage of company's that take on new clients discuss starting times during the estimate, before they before taking the client, I tell all new customers the time I start in the morning and I've never had a compliant with 7:30am in fact some tell me the earlier the better.
If you think 8:00am is terrible, I know one crew that starts mowing and running there equipment at 5:30am seven days a week and I know that because they're basically next door to me.

Carscw

Carscw

The man next door to me thought it was a good thing to mow his grass at 5 am every Saturday so I went and had a talk with him he told me if I don't like it move. He was not happy on Friday night when I had a yard full of bikes and drunk bikers till 2 am he now mows at 9am

MSlandscaping

MSlandscaping

We run crews 7 days a week. The weekend crews mostly do irrigation work or enhancement work on business parks/industrial properties. They dont want us there during the week because of the noise. We also do a couple private schools that require us to start at 6am for the same reason that they want us out of there before class starts.

As a business owner i want to have crews working as many days as possible. More work means??????..……

We are not to good for weekends :/ lol

exotion

exotion

Thats nice and I think that is great I do not want to get that big I dont even want to hire a second person to work with. I am going to fill up my days as a One man band and still make 4 times what I do working for someone else. If I stay a one man band I can work what ever hours I decide to work

Carscw

Carscw

MSlandscaping said:
We run crews 7 days a week. The weekend crews mostly do irrigation work or enhancement work on business parks/industrial properties. They dont want us there during the week because of the noise. We also do a couple private schools that require us to start at 6am for the same reason that they want us out of there before class starts.

As a business owner i want to have crews working as many days as possible. More work means??????..……

I agree if they want you there at 6am or 6pm be there.
I did a daycare center a few years ago and they wanted everything done on the weekends

Ric

Ric

Thats nice and I think that is great I do not want to get that big I dont even want to hire a second person to work with. I am going to fill up my days as a One man band and still make 4 times what I do working for someone else. If I stay a one man band I can work what ever hours I decide to work

That's the reason I stay or keep the business the way it is, I can work what ever hours I decide to work. My monthly income is twice my previous job and I work half the hours.

MSlandscaping

MSlandscaping

Everyone does what they feel is right for their business. I love working and expanding my business and i will expand as much as i possibly can.

T

tybilly

im interested in learning to install irrigation where can i findout how to do this?

MSlandscaping

MSlandscaping

tybilly said:
im interested in learning to install irrigation where can i findout how to do this?

To be honest the only real way to learn is hands on experience. I was fresh out of high school when i started digging trenches and learning irrigation. When it comes to irrigation there a million different ways to do things and a million different brands of products to use. If you want to learn fly out to Ca and ill send you with my crews :)

T

tybilly

well i certainly appreciate that offer and if time and money were different i would entertain that offer, i take it its not just placing in the milldle of yatd and running pipe to a water source,i have a walkbehind ditchwitch,and was thinking Toro,because thats the only product i know of,thanks

A

Acculawnsystems.com

We started at 8 am after started for many years at 7am. When starting at 7 am, we received many complaints. Be careful.

wickedgoodoutdoors

wickedgoodoutdoors

O Dark Thirty is the best time. The headlights on the tractor Blind the Deer and Skunks and give you a better shot at them.

Anyone that wants to help me with my landscaping. Cleanup, Burn Piles, Stump digging, Loam/Topsoil, Lime, Fertilizer, Grasseed etc is welcome.

Will TRADE DEEP SEA Fishing Charter Trips.

Saco/Old Orchard Beach Maine

Capt@WickedGoodOutdoors.com

Attachments

T

tybilly

I have never understood why some want to start as soon as the sun comes up then be done before 2.

Done before 2 here in charleston sc is a blessing with this heat.lol

C

Crawdad

I never understood waiting for the dew to be gone...My Scag does a great job on wet grass, and I am not waiting until 1 PM to start mowing.

M

mowermec

An old rule in th UK is never mow before 11 and never after 7.It might be different in the States.
Mowermec

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

An old rule in th UK is never mow before 11 and never after 7.It might be different in the States.
Mowermec

Yeah, here in the US, Sunday is really the only day that rule would apply!

T

the lawn guy

We usually start at 8:00 am weekdays, the same for Sat . We never cut on Sundays. That is when we count all our money and dine at fancy restaurants! ( Just kidding about the restaurants).

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

We usually start at 8:00 am weekdays, the same for Sat . We never cut on Sundays. That is when we count all our money and dine at fancy restaurants! ( Just kidding about the restaurants).

:laughing::laughing: