What kind of Oil do you use in your Gravleys?

Barney Fife

Threads
I bought a Gravely (used) 1740 ZT I need to change the oil and filter.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bought a Gravely (used) 1740 ZT I need to change the oil and filter.

Do you have the manual? For oil type most manufacturers and my manuals recommend a Detergent oil API service SF,SG,Sh,SJ,or SL I use 10w30 Mobil 5000 in all my mowers, Kohler, Kawsaki and Honda engines alike and have never had a problem. What brand engine is the Gravely?

Barney Fife

Threads
Sorry, and thanks for responding to my post. To be honest I for got I made this one....LoL I should be ashamed I have not changed the oil in this mower for 2 years I checked it today it was just barely on the stick.:mad: I went with Valvoline 10-40 I love that oil in my car. I almost bought Rottela this is what I use in my diesel, but dind'nt know about a gas engine.
The dealer told me it takes 2 quarts? I put in 2 and it was still low. I will check it tommoro again. That is why I would like to find the specs and parts on line/www.

Threads
Sorry, and thanks for responding to my post. To be honest I for got I made this one....LoL I should be ashamed I have not changed the oil in this mower for 2 years I checked it today it was just barely on the stick.:mad: I went with Valvoline 10-40 I love that oil in my car. I almost bought Rottela this is what I use in my diesel, but dind'nt know about a gas engine.
The dealer told me it takes 2 quarts? I put in 2 and it was still low. I will check it tommoro again. That is why I would like to find the specs and parts on line/www.

Manuals here: Ariens Order Owners Manuals

Barney Fife

Threads
I knew I worded that wrong. Sorry, I was needing a Web Site when I can find parts and numbers also for for capisities. For a Gravely 1740 ZT, I just don't know how much oil to put in it. I have found a few things. TIA

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When it comes to oil, Ams oil all the way, I am running Amsoil 15-40 diesel oil in my Ferris Kohler engine. I have been changing oil in that unit once a year.

Barney Fife

Threads
When it comes to oil, Ams oil all the way, I am running Amsoil 15-40 diesel oil in my Ferris Kohler engine. I have been changing oil in that unit once a year.

OK, thanks much, where do you buy Amsoil? Just curious I don't think Wal*Mart has it?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, thanks much, where do you buy Amsoil? Just curious I don't think Wal*Mart has it?

In my 2012 Gravely Pro Turn 100XDZ(has about 39 hours on it and I did my first oil/filter change at 10 hours), believe it or not...good ole inexpensive/readily available Briggs & Stratton SAE 30. I used it in both of my previous lawn tractors since 1993(B & S Vangaurd and Intek:0( engines) and neither ever used a drop of oil between seasons(and the 1993 Lawn Chief with the 16hp Vanguard was in service until 2012....yep 19 years and still ran like a top with no oil consumption although the deck was falling apart). I thought about using Kawaski brand oil in my Gravely since it has a commercial Kawasaki FX691V, but it costs 3 times the B & S oil. And the mechanic at my Gravely dealer agreed that the B & S SAE30 if changed every 50 hours would be just fine(and would not affect my warranty). It's really not a rocket science if you change oil every season or at least every 50 hours, but I think synthetic costs more money than it's worth for any added protection. Using the 10w40 multi-viscosity I would refer to what my Kawasaki engine manual stated(and the prior B & S engine manuals) that multi-viscosity may protect a wee bit better, but will eventually cause oil consumption in small engine applications. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:0)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Amsoil only sells to dealers, internet sales and shops. You will never see it in a big box store. I just happen to buy most of mine from a small auto repair shop and for my motorcycles in buy it from a local motorcycle dealer. I use the 100% synthetic and the reason is its the best. Yes it is more expensive to buy but you don't have to change your oil as much so I find in the long run it isn't any more money then Wal-Mart oil. I have been through this before on forums and with a lot of disagreement but each there own and I don't plan on arguing about oil changes. If you want to know more on Amsoil they have a very good website and if you follow as to what they say you will see what I mean.

Barney Fife

Threads
DJ and Rey,

Both nice post and I understand what both of you are saying. It was kind of both you to express your fondness for both oils.

If I had the money I would use 50/50 Amsoil/B&S....:laughing:

However, due to the avaibuilty I'll probably just use Valoline 10W40:confused2: