Export thread

What kind of Oil do you use in your Gravleys?

Barney Fife

Barney Fife

I bought a Gravely (used) 1740 ZT I need to change the oil and filter.

Ric

Ric

I bought a Gravely (used) 1740 ZT I need to change the oil and filter.

Do you have the manual? For oil type most manufacturers and my manuals recommend a Detergent oil API service SF,SG,Sh,SJ,or SL I use 10w30 Mobil 5000 in all my mowers, Kohler, Kawsaki and Honda engines alike and have never had a problem. What brand engine is the Gravely?

Barney Fife

Barney Fife

Sorry, and thanks for responding to my post. To be honest I for got I made this one....LoL I should be ashamed I have not changed the oil in this mower for 2 years I checked it today it was just barely on the stick.:mad: I went with Valvoline 10-40 I love that oil in my car. I almost bought Rottela this is what I use in my diesel, but dind'nt know about a gas engine.
The dealer told me it takes 2 quarts? I put in 2 and it was still low. I will check it tommoro again. That is why I would like to find the specs and parts on line/www.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Sorry, and thanks for responding to my post. To be honest I for got I made this one....LoL I should be ashamed I have not changed the oil in this mower for 2 years I checked it today it was just barely on the stick.:mad: I went with Valvoline 10-40 I love that oil in my car. I almost bought Rottela this is what I use in my diesel, but dind'nt know about a gas engine.
The dealer told me it takes 2 quarts? I put in 2 and it was still low. I will check it tommoro again. That is why I would like to find the specs and parts on line/www.

Manuals here: Ariens Order Owners Manuals

Barney Fife

Barney Fife

I knew I worded that wrong. Sorry, I was needing a Web Site when I can find parts and numbers also for for capisities. For a Gravely 1740 ZT, I just don't know how much oil to put in it. I have found a few things. TIA

reynoldston

reynoldston

When it comes to oil, Ams oil all the way, I am running Amsoil 15-40 diesel oil in my Ferris Kohler engine. I have been changing oil in that unit once a year.

Barney Fife

Barney Fife

When it comes to oil, Ams oil all the way, I am running Amsoil 15-40 diesel oil in my Ferris Kohler engine. I have been changing oil in that unit once a year.

OK, thanks much, where do you buy Amsoil? Just curious I don't think Wal*Mart has it?

djdicetn

djdicetn

OK, thanks much, where do you buy Amsoil? Just curious I don't think Wal*Mart has it?

In my 2012 Gravely Pro Turn 100XDZ(has about 39 hours on it and I did my first oil/filter change at 10 hours), believe it or not...good ole inexpensive/readily available Briggs & Stratton SAE 30. I used it in both of my previous lawn tractors since 1993(B & S Vangaurd and Intek:0( engines) and neither ever used a drop of oil between seasons(and the 1993 Lawn Chief with the 16hp Vanguard was in service until 2012....yep 19 years and still ran like a top with no oil consumption although the deck was falling apart). I thought about using Kawaski brand oil in my Gravely since it has a commercial Kawasaki FX691V, but it costs 3 times the B & S oil. And the mechanic at my Gravely dealer agreed that the B & S SAE30 if changed every 50 hours would be just fine(and would not affect my warranty). It's really not a rocket science if you change oil every season or at least every 50 hours, but I think synthetic costs more money than it's worth for any added protection. Using the 10w40 multi-viscosity I would refer to what my Kawasaki engine manual stated(and the prior B & S engine manuals) that multi-viscosity may protect a wee bit better, but will eventually cause oil consumption in small engine applications. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:0)

reynoldston

reynoldston

Amsoil only sells to dealers, internet sales and shops. You will never see it in a big box store. I just happen to buy most of mine from a small auto repair shop and for my motorcycles in buy it from a local motorcycle dealer. I use the 100% synthetic and the reason is its the best. Yes it is more expensive to buy but you don't have to change your oil as much so I find in the long run it isn't any more money then Wal-Mart oil. I have been through this before on forums and with a lot of disagreement but each there own and I don't plan on arguing about oil changes. If you want to know more on Amsoil they have a very good website and if you follow as to what they say you will see what I mean.

Barney Fife

Barney Fife

DJ and Rey,

Both nice post and I understand what both of you are saying. It was kind of both you to express your fondness for both oils.

If I had the money I would use 50/50 Amsoil/B&S....:laughing:

However, due to the avaibuilty I'll probably just use Valoline 10W40:confused2:

reynoldston

reynoldston

DJ and Rey,

Both nice post and I understand what both of you are saying. It was kind of both you to express your fondness for both oils.

If I had the money I would use 50/50 Amsoil/B&S....:laughing:

However, due to the avaibuilty I'll probably just use Valoline 10W40:confused2:

Just never heard of your 50/50 Amsoil/B&S. Nothing wrong with Valoline oil.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Just never heard of your 50/50 Amsoil/B&S. Nothing wrong with Valoline oil.

I think he meant he would use the Amsoil you recommended "or" the B & S oil I use. All of these oils, including the Valvoline, will do fine and like you said...the controversy of regular oil versus synthetic is "endless" and the main thing is....nobody's really right or wrong, it's mostly just a personal preference thing if you do regular maintenance.

Barney Fife

Barney Fife

DJ you are right, I am a cut-up, its hard for me to be serious about anything, but, religion and politix. Both of those I take very serious.

Barney Fife

djdicetn

djdicetn

DJ you are right, I am a cut-up, its hard for me to be serious about anything, but, religion and politix. Both of those I take very serious.

Barney Fife

Not a problem...this debate on regular oil versus synthetic gets quite heated sometimes and a chill pill of some humor never hurts!!! I just participated in yet another thread where a user(pretty sure he mows commercially) change his synthetic oil every 20 hours....yeah, for most commercial guys that would be once....maybe twice a week. Shelling out that much money for oil changes on a mower ain't funny....it's almost ridiculous:0)