Export thread

What is the best gator blade?

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I been looking around and noticed there is several different kinds out there
So the title says it what one is the best one?? I really wanting one that is gonna mulch good as 90% yards I mow all I do is mulch? :rolleyes::thumbsup:

K

KennyV

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Thanks do u know where I can get these at?

Ric

Ric

I been looking around and noticed there is several different kinds out there
So the title says it what one is the best one?? I really wanting one that is gonna mulch good as 90% yards I mow all I do is mulch? :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Can I ask what type of mower are you going to put these blades on??

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Can I ask what type of mower are you going to put these blades on??

I plan to put it on my 21inch craftsman cx

Ric

Ric

I plan to put it on my 21inch craftsman cx

I don't think they (Gator Blades) will work on your mower. Is your engine that 140 cc.

A_tank96

A_tank96

I don't think they (Gator Blades) will work on your mower. Is your engine that 140 cc.

Will they work on my Toro timecutter z4200 w/ Kohler 19 horse 597 cc?

I'm interested in getting some of these.

A_tank96

Ric

Ric

Will they work on my Toro timecutter z4200 w/ Kohler 19 horse 597 cc?

I'm interested in getting some of these.

A_tank96

Yes they would work on the time cutter, shouldn't be a problem. I personally wouldn't buy the fusion blades though, they're not worth the extra money IMO, they wont last any longer without sharpening than the others.

A_tank96

A_tank96

Yes they would work on the time cutter, shouldn't be a problem. I personally wouldn't buy the fusion blades though, they're not worth the extra money IMO, they wont last any longer without sharpening than the others.

What would you recommend?

A_tank96

Ric

Ric

What would you recommend?

A_tank96

I'd just buy the Oregon 3 n 1 mulcher blades. There going to last as long as the others.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Ric they do make a gator blade for it found it now its a 3 in 1

K

KennyV

...they do make a gator blade for it ...

Oregon as you found makes gator mower blades that will fit most everything. Just have to look them up.
Also from their link at the "where to buy" dropdown, you can find where to get them on line or at a local to you outlet...
If you can get the size you need in the Fusion blade:thumbsup:... Get it, some folks on this site do not understand hard surface steel, but they also have problems understanding synthetic oil so I am not too surprised. Get the Fusion surfaced blade You will appreciate the edge over a regular carbon steel blade. :smile:KennyV

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Oregon as you found makes gator mower blades that will fit most everything. Just have to look them up.
Also from their link at the "where to buy" dropdown, you can find where to get them on line or at a local to you outlet...
If you can get the size you need in the Fusion blade:thumbsup:... Get it, some folks on this site do not understand hard surface steel, but they also have problems understanding synthetic oil so I am not too surprised. Get the Fusion surfaced blade You will appreciate the edge over a regular carbon steel blade. :smile:KennyV

Can't seem to find it with the one that has two small holes and a big one in the middle :frown:

Carscw

Carscw

I use the 3 in 1 blade

I will get a set of the fusion and see how they stand up.

I cut around 200 yards with the 3in 1 and sharping them 4 times.
I only sharping when needed and only replace when the back fin breaks or is about to.
In three weeks or 200 yards I will post back how they did.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

K

KennyV

Can't seem to find it with the one that has two small holes and a big one in the middle :frown:
What is your length, width and the hole dimentions?''

I use the 3 in 1 blade

I will get a set of the fusion and see how they stand up.

I cut around 200 yards with the 3in 1 and sharping them 4 times.
I only sharping when needed and only replace when the back fin breaks or is about to.
In three weeks or 200 yards I will post back how they did.

You will like them, for the little bit of price increase you'll get a great hard surface... plus after you have worn away the HS there is Still a good carbon steel under it... :smile:KennyV

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I will look an tell in the mourning I plan to sharpen my old blades but 21 inch blade for sure an I know that most of those kind of adapter have the same hole sizes :confused2:

Ric

Ric

Ric they do make a gator blade for it found it now its a 3 in 1

There going to make Gator Blades for about every mower made today but that doesn't mean they will work the way there designed to work and the fact they the Fusion Blades can cost about twice what the 3 in1 blades cost doesn't make them twice as good. The problem you will have is that if the engine on that craftsmen is the 140 cc the blades are not going to have enough BTS to work correctly. Your cut probably wont be as good as you have now. I've used the Gator Blades on all my mowers at one time or another 7 different mowers, self propelled included. I put them on mowers with the 190cc engine and guess what, They don't work, all they do is clump grass and make a mess because the mower doesn't have the BTS to discharge the grass fast enough or correctly. Now with the Turf-Master they work like a dream but that's with an 18 to 18500 BTS where there designed to work.

A

afoulk

I've been thinking about trying one on my snapper hi vac with a 7HP Briggs intek. You think it would work ok on that? Do they work better with the mulching cover installed or with the side discharge chute? I'm still working on getting it running since I got it, so I haven't mowed with it yet, but the stock standard lift blade on it is pretty much shot.

Carscw

Carscw

I've been thinking about trying one on my snapper hi vac with a 7HP Briggs intek. You think it would work ok on that? Do they work better with the mulching cover installed or with the side discharge chute? I'm still working on getting it running since I got it, so I haven't mowed with it yet, but the stock standard lift blade on it is pretty much shot.

I run then on my snappers and side discharge.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

There going to make Gator Blades for about every mower made today but that doesn't mean they will work the way there designed to work and the fact they the Fusion Blades can cost about twice what the 3 in1 blades cost doesn't make them twice as good. The problem you will have is that if the engine on that craftsmen is the 140 cc the blades are not going to have enough BTS to work correctly. Your cut probably wont be as good as you have now. I've used the Gator Blades on all my mowers at one time or another 7 different mowers, self propelled included. I put them on mowers with the 190cc engine and guess what, They don't work, all they do is clump grass and make a mess because the mower doesn't have the BTS to discharge the grass fast enough or correctly. Now with the Turf-Master they work like a dream but that's with an 18 to 18500 BTS where there designed to work.

You are making a good point but I do have a set of 3in1 blade on my 22inch mower that has a 148 cc engine an it works fine an my cx21 has a 175 engine I will give the 3 in 1 try's :thumbsup:

Ric

Ric

You are making a good point but I do have a set of 3in1 blade on my 22inch mower that has a 148 cc engine an it works fine an my cx21 has a 175 engine I will give the 3 in 1 try's :thumbsup:

Well you may have a gator blade on your 22 inch mower with a 148cc engine and it probably cut grass but the blade isn't working effectively, the mower doesn't have sufficient blade tip speed to achieve the correct mulching effect. That's the reason it didn't work on my or with my 190cc Honda. Let me ask you if you know how a Gator blade works, how it mulches grass?

Carscw

Carscw

I run a Briggs 206cc 5hp on my snappers and run the 3-1 blades they cut good never leave any clumps.
I love the way they cut and love the sound they make they whistle

Maybe the Honda just don't have enough RPMs

Carscw

Carscw

I will tell you how they work.

The teeth or fins on the back push the grass up and to the center of the blade.
If your mower can turn the blades at 19.000 then every piece of grass gets cut 4 times.

Some people think the teeth recut the grass but they don't.
This is why without enough RPMs the mower bogs down and drops clumps of grass

Ric

Ric

I will tell you how they work.

The teeth or fins on the back push the grass up and to the center of the blade.
If your mower can turn the blades at 19.000 then every piece of grass gets cut 4 times.

Some people think the teeth recut the grass but they don't.
This is why without enough RPMs the mower bogs down and drops clumps of grass

The teeth create air flow that's all they do, they push the grass up and back in front of the cutting blade 4 to 5 times if you have a blade tip speed of between 18000 and 19000 fpm and with a 148cc or 175 cc engine is not going to happen and that has been my point all the long. IMO it's a waste of money to use them with a push mower when you'll basically get the same effect with a regular high lift blade.

Carscw

Carscw

I have two reasons why I use them
1 in the fall for the leaves
2 they last longer. I feeI am getting more for my money.

As I have said before they are not for tall wet grass.

IMO the biggest problem people have with their blades or mowers is the wait to long to cut their grass and try cutting 4 inches when they should be cutting no more than 2 at the max and staying within the 1/3 rule.

Don't try and use you mower beyond its capabilities.

Parkmower

Parkmower

exactly!!! This is prob the answer to a majority of new comers "problems" with their mowers cutting.
The right tool for the right job.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

exactly!!! This is prob the answer to a majority of new comers "problems" with their mowers cutting.
The right tool for the right job.

Yeah, a lot of people need this instead! :rolleyes:

Field-Brush-Mower-II.png

(http://www.amazingvermont.com/wp-content/uploads/Field-Brush-Mower-II.png)

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

The teeth create air flow that's all they do, they push the grass up and back in front of the cutting blade 4 to 5 times if you have a blade tip speed of between 18000 and 19000 fpm and with a 148cc or 175 cc engine is not going to happen and that has been my point all the long. IMO it's a waste of money to use them with a push mower when you'll basically get the same effect with a regular high lift blade.

It seems that motor runs fine an the blade work as I need it to so I will keep it till I see different I see your facts are correct but I fell they work as I need them too

Skyhop

Skyhop

I have used the gator blades and find that do a good job. However I prefer the Standard blade best