What grease should I use on lawn mower steering joints?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / What grease should I use on lawn mower steering joints?
Best grease is silicone based. Silicone is anti-water slash moisture. Does not react with rubber parts/bushings like petroleum greases do.

View attachment 57296
No arguement apart from the customers not wanting to pay the extra for the more expensive grease
I use McNaught Mini lubes which get refilled from 5 gallon bulk tubs which I get for a really good price at the real tractor shops
5 lb of silicon grese is about the same price as 5 gallons of lithium grease .

OrtisEvans

Threads
My limited knowledge of silicone lubricants is that they are water resistant and good in some applications. However, they have low film strength and so are not suited for significant loads. They get squeezed out. They can be good for electrical contacts, since the exclude oxygen but let the contacts, well, make contact. My knowledge is 10 years old, and maybe some of the silicone greases have additives that make me wrong.

Please put me back on the right path if I am wrong.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here I usually use a good quality EP2 Moly grease. Definitely better than that cheap grease in those seal bearings which I replace when installing new ball bearings.

Using the cheapest grease will get you into trouble. I use to service Mack dump trucks and they were having a lot bearing failures related to the cheap grease they were using. I got them to switch over the bulk EP2 Moly and I did a lot less u-joint replacements The cheap grease was getting hot and slung out during operations, the Moly based grease tended to stay in the bearings.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use two kinds of grease--Mobil 1 for high speed applications, like mower blade spindles, and regular grease for wheels and steering linkages, etc. Mobil1 runs about $10 a tube; the other $2.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My limited knowledge of silicone lubricants is that they are water resistant and good in some applications. However, they have low film strength and so are not suited for significant loads. They get squeezed out. They can be good for electrical contacts, since the exclude oxygen but let the contacts, well, make contact. My knowledge is 10 years old, and maybe some of the silicone greases have additives that make me wrong.

Please put me back on the right path if I am wrong.
Silicone greases come in many different viscosities. I have Magic Lube from the swimming pool industry. It's for lubing up the large O-rings on pool pump baskets. Grease stays on in chlorinated water. I use it on any O-ring that needs it which most all do. Plumbing repairs around the house and such.

All greases can get squeezed out. Using the cheapest grease you can find is better than nothing.

slomo

Lopsterkrap

Forum Newbie
Threads
When it comes to lubricating lawn mower steering joints, it's important to use a grease that's suitable for outdoor equipment. Look for a high-quality lithium-based or synthetic grease. They're typically more resistant to water and temperature variations, which is crucial for outdoor use.

By the way, if you want to take a break from mower maintenance and enjoy a lush lawn, you might consider a creeping thyme lawn. It not only looks fantastic but also requires less maintenance than traditional grass. Plus, it adds a touch of beauty to your outdoor space.

Last edited:

JamieL1

Forum Newbie
Threads
i use PT507 from john deere.