What grease should I use on lawn mower steering joints?

Ineedhelp2021

Threads
  • / What grease should I use on lawn mower steering joints?
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what grease I should use on lawnmower stering joints. I would like to use something that is going to make it as easy as possible to steer the tractor. I was thinking like Lucas red n tacky #2 but I dont know if it is going to cause the joints to be sticky. -Thanks for your time

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve always used a good multi purpose grease, never any thing special. We’re not talking about a lot of heat or wear, never had any failures I can attribute to the wrong lube.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
$3.50 at tractor supply
1625520885640.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will second the red #2 from tractor supply. Use it for everything but stuff that needs EP grease.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use blue marine grease because it has better weather resistance than the red hi-tac but again it is not the space shuttle
And like Rivets I use it on everything that takes a Lithium soap grease which is everything on a mower except diffs & gearboxes .
A bit of dripping from the sunday roast would probably work fine just so long as the bushes / bearings are never allowed to run dry

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Green Grease, Full synthetic & waterproof. Overkill I'm sure. But I'm out of grade 2 grease.. LOL

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Best grease is silicone based. Silicone is anti-water slash moisture. Does not react with rubber parts/bushings like petroleum greases do.

Screenshot_2021-07-05_21-54-37.png

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Lets start a best grease thread! Hammer, you're up!!
I use Green Grease, Full synthetic & waterproof. Overkill I'm sure. But I'm out of grade 2 grease.. LOL

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A restaurant hired me to fix a commercial Bunn coffee maker and i had to provide a signed statement that the silocone RTV i used to seal it back up was NSF approved food grade. Same for the grease i used on a meat slicer.