WHAT CAUSES THIS??

Threads
I just got a Honda HRX217HYA and I have used it twice. After the first time I noticed these dark marks on the side of the deck. (Picture attached.) What is this?
DSCN6612.jpg
Also, after the second time, I noticed these dark marks on the top of the engine. (Picture attached.) What is this?
DSCN6617 - Copy.jpg

DSCN6608 - Copy.jpg

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got a Honda HRX217HYA and I have used it twice. After the first time I noticed these dark marks on the side of the deck. (Picture attached.) What is this?
View attachment 7599
Also, after the second time, I noticed these dark marks on the top of the engine. (Picture attached.) What is this?
View attachment 7600

View attachment 7601

What can you tell us about the marks? Are they just scuffs or is that some kind of substance (maybe oil)? Does it wipe off or can you remove it somehow? Anything unusual about your mowing environment?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe Pennsylvania coal air pollution. ( please don't take this serious) It sure looks odd and looks like defected paint job or something under the paint to me. I would be afraid of the paint coming off in them spots after some time in the future. I am sure of one thing if you were to try to get any warranty you will get a Bull #### answer to what it is.

Threads
What can you tell us about the marks? Are they just scuffs or is that some kind of substance (maybe oil)? Does it wipe off or can you remove it somehow? Anything unusual about your mowing environment?
It can be wiped off easily, but there is nothing unusual with my mowing environment.

Ariena

Threads
Just a thought: have you spray painted anything around it? It looks like overspray. It is too dirty to be leaking oil in a new mower.

Threads
Just a thought: have you spray painted anything around it? It looks like overspray. It is too dirty to be leaking oil in a new mower.
No, I have not.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
It can be wiped off easily, but there is nothing unusual with my mowing environment.

I assume it was not on the mower when new, and has just appeared now?

I would guess it was from a fuel spill. There nothing inherent about the mower itself that would produce a topical film / marking like that in the photos. The mower deck is made of a polymer called NeXite (also known as Xenoy) and the engine cover/fuel tank/shroud are made of traditional plastic. Whatever it is in the photos surely did not emerge or originate from the mower's materials.

For the record, the mower deck and engine cover/fuel tank/shroud are not painted.They are produced from materials of red and grey all the way through.

Threads
I assume it was not on the mower when new, and has just appeared now?
Correct, it only appeared after the first few lawns, but I didn't spill any fuel.