Westwood T1200

clicon357

Threads
Well you will just have to learn plastic welding or buy another bottle of beads.

? Luckily it came with two bottles of grit! Just got to find the other one!

Worst case I find another bottle style.

These Lidl Parkside tools like the sand blasting gun are one off special deals. Rarely repeated. Zero chance of spares etc.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spares are no problem for me.
Every time I mow the verge I get a big bag full of plastic bottles kindly donated from the passing cars

clicon357

Threads
@bertsmobile1 evening, still undecided on how/if to repair this corroded half of the pulley. Do you reckon, rather than rewelding it, I could bolt together with x3 M4 bolts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No bolts will not do the job because the 2 halves are too thin unless packed out
Bigger ones are riveted together
rotate the two halves so the holes on one side are mid way between the holes on the other side
Then you have 6 lap joints were you can weld
Note that is real weld using a steel filler rod.
If you try to braize with a brass or bronze rod it will split in use.
Found that out the expensive way

Last edited:

clicon357

Threads
Thanks. I was planning to MIG it.

Labouring the point here I know...

I'm struggling to see a way to build up the weld on this rotted half without say inserting a brass round the same diameter as the bearing to weld against.

I drilled the spots out with a 4mm drill. I only went thru one half. Debating whether I could get rivnuts in there. Nothing ventured etc.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd say it's time to head down to the local supply house and get a new idler. Should be fairly simple to match up one with what you have. Can do just so much with some really moth eaten parts, been there myself many times.

clicon357

Threads
I'd say it's time to head down to the local supply house and get a new idler. Should be fairly simple to match up one with what you have. Can do just so much with some really moth eaten parts, been there myself many times.

A bit late.....its back together with rivnuts and M4 bolts! On the mower and first cut done:

2020-05-31_07-20-22.jpg

2020-05-31_07-20-32.jpg

2020-05-31_07-20-45.jpg

2020-05-31_07-20-52.jpg

clicon357

Threads
Recovered the dead mower battery! Cleaned with bicarbonate of soda solution about 10% bicarb. That reacts & cleans all the cr@p off the plates. Then filled with 12% epsom salt solution and trickle charged for 24 hours. Up to about 13V and starts the mower no problem. That's with the Epsom salt solution still in and no acid.