Westwood T1200

clicon357

Threads
The deck on my Westwood T1200 was a bit worse for wear.

I opted just to repair a section of the rim so fab'd a channed o/of some 2mm steel:

Picture below shows the repaired deck pre refitting. I've added on in pink the drive pulley on the bottom of the engine. When fitted, the belt runs anti clockwise. The original pullies that turn the blades are shown at 1 & 2. They are stiffer to turn than I'd like. If, with the deck on I engage the cutter the belt jumps and slaps at 1. I think what is happening is that the drive pulley feeds the belt onto 1 which turns relatively freely. When it gets to 2, because that is stiffer to turn the belt "backs up". New bearings ordered!

49789233648_c6f16930f6_k.thumb.jpg.1d77a74faebcc1b0309363417a9f436e.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nice fix
You have that backwards.
Belts pull only so all of the slack will be at 1 which is where a tensioning pulley would be if fitted to take up any slack in the belt .
Make sure that the brake pads are not touching either pulley with the beck engaged.
If the belt is falpping there badly then you either have a belt that is too long or the engagement needs some adjusting

clicon357

Threads
Thanks.

1) Option at the front of 4 holes each side on the two prongs that come from the deck. Can't remember which holes were used before we took the deck off.

2) At the rear two horizontal rods, threaded at the end with a 1/2" AF nut on.

I've raised / levelled the deck a bit and it runs better but the belt still slaps. I'll video it later

clicon357

Threads
Tried starting it just now on the pull cord, to video the belt slap it but no dice. Was starting fine yesterday!

Anyway, ref the deck/belt. After refitting the deck the belt was smoking like Hell on trying engaging the cutter, blade pullies weren't turning and the belt was "slapping " terribly at 1, marked pink, above.

We adjusted at the back here:

And it's in these holes at the front, (before it was 1 hole back):

After adjusting as above the belt smoking stopped pretty much and the cutting pullies seemed to be trying to turn.

Deck fully raised, belt is level:

Deck fully down, belt looks at too steep an angle to me:

The belt is wearing here:

Grateful for any pointers.

Cheers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What the bottom photo shows is belt burn and that is caused by the belt slipping on a pulley that is not moving.
Two reasons for that
Too much resistance on the pulley
Belt too long so not tight enough .

Your belt run looks about right, the mid height setting usually has the belt running close to level .
The lowest cut height should never be used as it is generally under 1" so would only be used where you want to kill our lawn. or were mowing a putting green.

clicon357

Threads
What the bottom photo shows is belt burn and that is caused by the belt slipping on a pulley that is not moving.
Two reasons for that
Too much resistance on the pulley
Belt too long so not tight enough .

Your belt run looks about right, the mid height setting usually has the belt running close to level .
The lowest cut height should never be used as it is generally under 1" so would only be used where you want to kill our lawn. or were mowing a putting green.

Thanks for that. As I said at the start of the thread I think stiff pullies can't be helping much. New bearings coming tomorrow hopefully. I'll report back!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the blade brake off and the belt off you should be able to spin the blades with your little finger.
If this can not happen the spindle has too much resistance
I am still a bit confused about that deck
It is very rare to have a 3 pulley set up without a spring loaded tensioning pulley in there somewhere.
Unfortunately the only West wood I service has no deck and is used to tow a cart.
Westwood still are making mowers so do you have the approximate year of your mower & I will see if we can dig up a parts list.
Something seem wrong with that deck.

clicon357

Threads
With the blade brake off and the belt off you should be able to spin the blades with your little finger.
If this can not happen the spindle has too much resistance
I am still a bit confused about that deck
It is very rare to have a 3 pulley set up without a spring loaded tensioning pulley in there somewhere.
Unfortunately the only West wood I service has no deck and is used to tow a cart.
Westwood still are making mowers so do you have the approximate year of your mower & I will see if we can dig up a parts list.
Something seem wrong with that deck.

Thanks.

Little finger? No, grab pulley with a gloved hand and it takes some effort with tight spots to rotate them.

Westwood kindly sent me a PDF manual and spares list. I could make available here if any use?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You won't be able to post the IPL on here because of file size limits.
I have found the owners manual on the Westwood web site to confirm the belt run & adjustments.
It seems that there was a counter rotating deck as well as the mulching one you have which explains the bad belt run as the other deck has 2 deck belts and a double pulley which would have the PTO belt running at a better angle.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
How about a couple more pictures of the mower. Curious about this machine, never heard of one. Inquiring minds........