Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!

Rue1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!
Greetings! New to forum, owner of Stihl Blower/Weed Wacker/Trimmer & 2 Chainsaws in Oregon.

bt3

Threads
Greetings.

I've owned a Stihl MS250 saw that I used to extreme. I fell at least 30 very large trees with it, trimmed them, cut them into firewood, and then cut multiple neighbors trees and did a ton of trimming. That saw was amazing. I sold it last year to a neighbor whom is STILL using it at least once a week. You just can't kill it. What a great saw.

I currently have a Farmboss. Another great saw. I lamented for a long time between Husqvarna and Stihl. Chose a Stihl only because the Dealer near me is excellent, and Stihl seemed a little higher end than Husky since they do not sell in big box retail. Good choice for me. Husky is a good saw, don't get me wrong, I just happen to have had amazing luck with my Stihl saws. The current Farmboss is on track to at least match the MS250 reliability. Two of my homes are on very heavily wooded lots and the trees are over 30 years old. The Ash trees fell victim to the Ash Borer and have bit the dust. Lots of trees came down this year with that Farmboss.

My Homelite trimmer (25 years old at least) is on its last leg, so I will be replacing that soon with a Stihl trimmer. I just bought an electric Toro blower and hedge trimmer, otherwise I would own a Stihl hedge trimer and blower too. Good to see this kind of quality in a tool these days.

travisrobinson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I ha v e a ms 270 chain saw. Yesterday it started bogging down when not even under a load. I replaced the fuel line and filter and the air filter. It is still doing the same thing. I DID MAKE A FRESH BATCH OF MIXED GAS .......NOT HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE GAS IN MY SPLITTER... any ideas

imperialman67

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am glad to be here.
I am (was) the proud owner of a new Sthil BG56 leaf blower.
Purchased new this past May it is used primarily to blow grass clipping from my small driveway ,and sidewalk .
It has probably had two tanks of gas ran through it, so it doesn't get a lot of use.
Though it runs ok I guess , my main problem is getting it started.
Though I Follow the Sthil starting instructions, to the letter, it isn't unusual to have it take 15 or more rope pulls to get it running.
Frustrating to say the least.
It has had nothing but the correct 50:1 mixture of gas used with Sthil oil, and ethanol free gas.
The dealer says my gas may be getting old, though this same mixture has my Shinwanda string trimmer starting on the second pull.
Anyway does anyone one know if this type of blower from Sthil is inherently a hard starting unit?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!
I am glad to be here.
I am (was) the proud owner of a new Sthil BG56 leaf blower.
Purchased new this past May it is used primarily to blow grass clipping from my small driveway ,and sidewalk .
It has probably had two tanks of gas ran through it, so it doesn't get a lot of use.
Though it runs ok I guess , my main problem is getting it started.
Though I Follow the Sthil starting instructions, to the letter, it isn't unusual to have it take 15 or more rope pulls to get it running.
Frustrating to say the least.
It has had nothing but the correct 50:1 mixture of gas used with Sthil oil, and ethanol free gas.
The dealer says my gas may be getting old, though this same mixture has my Shinwanda string trimmer starting on the second pull.
Anyway does anyone one know if this type of blower from Sthil is inherently a hard starting unit?

My blower is a real pita to start especially in the heat prime the thing a lot it helps

redbaron169

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm a BRAND NEW Newbie. I don't normally join forums; but I'm desperate for an answer/help with my Stihl Chainsaw Model MS-310. I was born & raised in the SE Woods of Mississippi; but I joined the Navy and after my Tour was up, moved to the Great Northwest to live, hunt, & WORK. After 20 years of cutting Firewood with a Husky Chainsaw, I moved back Way Down South and was advised to purchase a REAL chainsaw....a STIHL. I was further advised that in order to enjoy trouble free continuous use of my Stihl, I should take it to a Stihl Authorized Dealer and have it annually serviced. I will honestly admit, I have a problem letting other folks work on any of my equipment; but upon the insistence of my oldest son, I relented this year (he volunteered to pay). I just started to cut some additional firewood for our Southern MS winter needs and discovered that the Chain is not getting any lubrication. Upon further detailed troubleshooting/investigation, I discovered all my Chain Lube Oil was coming out the front of my Stihl. (Lots of oil) As most of you longtime Stihl Owners know, Stihl is "Stingy" with the Maintenance info they make available! I have attached a pic of the hole where the Chain Lube is pouring out of.
I said all the above to ask this; "Can anyone please advise if there is something supposed to be in this hole? and if so, can you tell me what the part # is?"
Very Respectfully,
The NEW Newbie

GREETINGS to all Stihl equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Stihl power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Stihl owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Stihl owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Stihl stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Attachments

• ChainLube.jpg
    ChainLube.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 7

bt3

Threads
Hello all, I ha v e a ms 270 chain saw. Yesterday it started bogging down when not even under a load. I replaced the fuel line and filter and the air filter. It is still doing the same thing. I DID MAKE A FRESH BATCH OF MIXED GAS .......NOT HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE GAS IN MY SPLITTER... any ideas

Greetings.

2 Cycle Saws bogging down under throttle advance are usually either one of the following. I'll EMIT Fresh Gas and Air/Fuel filters and fuel line since you've checked that. I am also assuming your spark plug and magneto are generating proper spark.

Check your Spark Arrestor Screen behind the muffler. If this gets clogged, you will have power loss issues. The saw can't provide high RPM if this screen is blocking the exhaust.

Check the carb for gumming issues. Spray Carb Cleaner in there where you can. If the Spark Arrestor is clean and you have sprayed carb cleaner and you are still having this issue, you may need to pop off the carb and look at all the ports/bowl and make sure there is no issue there. Clean and service that carb if the above does not solve your problem. Gum and deposits from stale fuel are frequently the culprit of the symptom you have described.

You should never let your mixed 2 cycle gas sit in your saw when not in use. Either run it dry OR get a can of STIHL MotoMix pre-mixed fuel. That stuff has a shelf life of 24 months after opening the can, and will NOT gum or tarnish your carb or clog your fuel lines/filter. And, your saw will run better on it. For the casual-use homeowner's saw, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONLY USING STIHL MOTOMIX. It's worth every penny.

Welcome to the forum!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greetings.

2 Cycle Saws bogging down under throttle advance are usually either one of the following. I'll EMIT Fresh Gas and Air/Fuel filters and fuel line since you've checked that. I am also assuming your spark plug and magneto are generating proper spark.

Check your Spark Arrestor Screen behind the muffler. If this gets clogged, you will have power loss issues. The saw can't provide high RPM if this screen is blocking the exhaust.

Check the carb for gumming issues. Spray Carb Cleaner in there where you can. If the Spark Arrestor is clean and you have sprayed carb cleaner and you are still having this issue, you may need to pop off the carb and look at all the ports/bowl and make sure there is no issue there. Clean and service that carb if the above does not solve your problem. Gum and deposits from stale fuel are frequently the culprit of the symptom you have described.

You should never let your mixed 2 cycle gas sit in your saw when not in use. Either run it dry OR get a can of STIHL MotoMix pre-mixed fuel. That stuff has a shelf life of 24 months after opening the can, and will NOT gum or tarnish your carb or clog your fuel lines/filter. And, your saw will run better on it. For the casual-use homeowner's saw, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONLY USING STIHL MOTOMIX. It's worth every penny.

Welcome to the forum!

I second spark arrestor screen and exhaust port cleaning.

johnsess

Forum Newbie
Threads

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem, the carb is dirty inside, and you'll need to give it a good thorough cleaning. The rebuild kit is 12-15 bucks, but also price a new carb for it and weigh the difference. If your carb has adjustable hi and lo screws, try opening each 1/4 turn (left) and experiment. But it is probably dirty inside and needs cleaning and replacing diaphragm and pump (included in kit). You'll need numbers off carb eg. Zama s162 or Walbro k-121

johnsess

Forum Newbie
Threads
My blower is a real pita to start especially in the heat prime the thing a lot it helps

Look at the muffler. If it has a 12mm nut with a hole for the exhaust to escape, remove the nut. Attached inside the nut is a screen which gets clogged from time to time from using outdated (paraffin based) 2-cycle oil. Either clean the screen or pinch it off with a pliers and discard. Reinstall nut and enjoy your blower. And only use Stihl ultra synthetic oil to prevent future problems.