Was…John Deere SX85. Now…Operating!

runandrise

Threads
Hello all,
I recently acquired a SX85. My first John Deere. I was told the transmission was bad, but I'm not going to be able to check until I replace the belt that was stuck between two pullys. I have removed the transmission, and spinning the wheel on top, one of the axles is spinning, the other side is not. Is this normal?
Also, I've attempted a google search for an owners manual, but have been unsuccessful in finding a link to download one.
Any help is appreciated!
Kevin
after another attempt at a owners manual I found this out about the transmission: mechanical variable transmission with infinite forward and reverse gears.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
try spinning one of the axles.... on my srx75 which is similar to yours, when you spin one axle one way, the other axle should spin the opposite way.

runandrise

Threads
Appreciate the reply Scrubcadet10. That's what mine is doing also. Does that mean there isn't anything wrong with it? One of the belts above the transmission with the double pulley on the right side was so jammed in between the pullys I had a heck of a time getting it out..Used a screw driver and pried it out. Wonder how it got in there?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
on mine the main drive wheel is the back right wheel (if sitting in the seat) ... and the wheels should spin in opposite directions when you turn one by hand. I believe your trans is in useable condition.
Most likely the belt jumped off the pulley while in use... sometimes they jam in the weirdest spots.l

runandrise

Threads
Got the belt i need to replace. No manual as to how to do it. Will wing it. If all else fails I'll have to buy the repair manual for $39.00, but hoping I can figure it out. Any re-install tips might be hard to pass along, but....

D

Deleted member 97405

These transmissions have a differential in them. That is why the axles rotate opposite directions when you spin one side at a time. The belt guides are a bit tricky to adjust because they tend to move as you're tightening the bolt. Make sure to check the position of the guide once you get the bolt tight. It will tear or shred a belt really quick. With engine off, the best way to set the guides is to hook a bungie cord to the variator pedal and engage the deck. That way the belts are tight and you can set the guides.

runandrise

Threads
These transmissions have a differential in them. That is why the axles rotate opposite directions when you spin one side at a time. The belt guides are a bit tricky to adjust because they tend to move as you're tightening the bolt. Make sure to check the position of the guide once you get the bolt tight. It will tear or shred a belt really quick. With engine off, the best way to set the guides is to hook a bungie cord to the variator pedal and engage the deck. That way the belts are tight and you can set the guides.
Appreciate the
These transmissions have a differential in them. That is why the axles rotate opposite directions when you spin one side at a time. The belt guides are a bit tricky to adjust because they tend to move
Appropriate the response. The belt I pulled out was a mess. I’ve tried putting the trans back in, but I can’t figure out the 1,2,3. Since I’m pretty sure the trans is good, I’ll buy the JD maintenance CD for $40. And hopefully it will have the re-install steps. Will pay close attention to setting the guides!

runandrise

Threads
Posted the response from my phone. Why the dbl quote??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Appropriate the response. The belt I pulled out was a mess. I’ve tried putting the trans back in, but I can’t figure out the 1,2,3. Since I’m pretty sure the trans is good, I’ll buy the JD maintenance CD for $40. And hopefully it will have the re-install steps. Will pay close attention to setting the guides!
IF that is the offical JD technical manual , you will not be dissapointed. and wll be on here next week telling others how to fix their mowers.
If it was one oof those 20 JD manuals on a CD off evil pay don't be surprised if all you get is a badly scanned copy of the owners manual

runandrise

Threads
Appreciate all the responses guys. if the website has a little picture of the John Deere Tractor in the web address, wouldn't you think that's legit?