Want Residential ZTR

jimrs

Threads
I have had all three motors and have only had problems with the B&S. Like was said earlier you only hear of the bad ones on these posts. I think you will be ok with what ever you choose.

The main thing about lawn equipment is we sometimes fail to take care of it as when your through mowing you tend to forget service until it's too late. keep the oil changed and check it before starting and don't forget the air filter as it sometimes is forgotten. If you do that you should be happy with your choice.

YardMonkey

Threads
Have narrowed it down to Toro SS4200 and Toro SS4235

Should the fact that one is a 20 HP single cylinder and the other is a Twin V 20HP engine sway me either way...?

.Other than that, both are identical. Difference is about $100 for the Twin cylinder engine...

Probably gonna pull the trigger Monday...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Twin cylinder engine will run smoother and having worked on both I think that I would spend the extra $$$. That said, you won't be disappointed with either one.

percydovetonsils

Forum Newbie
Threads
DO not buy Dixie Chopper Iron Eagle, it is crap!! Rears up, wheels cut hole in lawn, has B&S engine.

YardMonkey

Threads
Thanks for all the info provided. I went in to purchase the Toro SS4200, twin cylinder Kohler for $2599
Took test ride and really liked the thing. Never operated a ZTR before so it was like trying to learn to drive all over again.

Sitting next to it was a MX4260 with a Kawasaki engine. A bit more heavy duty and with a welded deck. Was $3599...a bit more than I wanted to spend. Kept going back to it and asked the guy if he had any flexibility on the MX??? (Never hurts to ask)...He asked me what I would be willing to pay to upgrade to the MX? i said, "Maybe $3200". He said was a bit low but would I go up to $3350, with an extra set of blades, first two services (oil change, oil filter, air filter) on the house. I asked him if he would put it on my trailer...he said after they get it "ready to go" they would load it up and I could cut grass with it this afternoon.

Brought it home 3 hours later, practiced on it for a bit, filled the tank, and cut the grass. I ran it on the slow speed just til I get comfortable with it. It cuts magnificently. Better than any cut of my lawn I have ever gotten with a lawn tractor. I did not mulch, just shot the clippings out the chute and it looks there are no clippings to speak of.

Very happy with my new Toro MX4260 and i believe I am going to love using a ZTR.

I am happy with my deal. I guess it is like buying a new truck. Someone is bound to tell me that I paid to much for it...that's okay, I am happy with my deal and my relationship with the local dealer. They treated me really good, and were a wealth of information. Will need a weed eater/trimmer in coming month (mine requires me to work on it every time I use it) and I will buy that at the local dealer also.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know you are going to be happy with your new machine. Two things I want to point out. First you said you cut at a slow speed. Always cut with the engine at top speed, just slow down your ground speed for the best cut. Second, I would ask your better half to try it. If she thinks that she could do it if neccessary, you know you bought the right unit.

YardMonkey

Threads
I did miss-word my post....I cut at full throttle but at the slower ground speed.
Wife sat on the mower but was a bit afraid of it, said she will try it out in the drive way and gradually work her way into using it. She likes the concept of the zero turn and not constantly having to back up like on the lawn tractor.

Thanks for the encouragement and the tips.

Popeye

Threads
You made a good choice going up to the 4260 and with the blades and the service. That's a sweet deal.