Export thread

Want Residential ZTR

Y

YardMonkey

Looking at Toro residential ZTR's and appears they offer it with the Kohler engine....Are they all bad?
Has anyone had one that they have had no problems with? Is this "No Kohler" that is constantly stated factual or just over kill?

Could look at other types, but have a Toro, Snapper, and Ariens dealer in the area. Got a limited budget (less than $3K) so looking at residential with a 42" cut. Want to buy from local dealer.

Have 3/4 acre lot with house, garage, sheds, trees, flower beds on it. Mow the lawn 1 time per week.
Flat, no hills, ditches or slopes.

Will choose one of the following--You guidance welcomed....

TimeCutterョ SS4200 (74623) 42" 20 HP Kohler

Snapper ZT2142 42" (107 cm) Briggs & Stratton 21 HP

Ariens ZOOM 42 20 HP Kohler Courage

scott47429

scott47429

with Toro you wont go wrong great mower and good serving company but if it has the Kohler Courage stay away from that engine the other Kohler engines are ok just not the courage

Ric

Ric

with Toro you wont go wrong great mower and good serving company but if it has the Kohler Courage stay away from that engine the other Kohler engines are ok just not the courage

Have you ever owned a Kohler Courage??

A

Ariena

I have an Ariens Zoom 16.5 HP Briggs ZTR. I have a 1/2 acre to cut. This machine built for light duty, is the perfect machine for what I have to do. I just installed the Ariens mulch kit after 4 years without the kit. The difference is fantastic. No more bagging, raking or blowing the lawn. The mulching blades leave the lawn looking manicured. I would recommend this machine to my friends.

m&p45

m&p45

Have you ever owned a Kohler Courage??

I've owned the "dreaded" kohler courage 20hp going on 2 seasons on my mtd rider... I've mowed my almost 2 acres about once a week during the mowing season + I mow my mother's 1/4 acre about once a week. So far, knock on wood, no problems at all. I'm satisfied. Thats not to say that if I had know about all the horror stories prior to buying it that I still would have.

H

hitmanharleyk

I'd recommend one of these even if you have to get it at the dreaded big box store like Lowes.

HUSQVARNA RZ4621 - Zero turn mowers

HUSQVARNA RZ4219 - Zero turn mowers

They have a RZ4623 for $2599, but it is powered by a 23 hp Kohler.

Ric

Ric

Looking at Toro residential ZTR's and appears they offer it with the Kohler engine....Are they all bad?
Has anyone had one that they have had no problems with? Is this "No Kohler" that is constantly stated factual or just over kill?

Could look at other types, but have a Toro, Snapper, and Ariens dealer in the area. Got a limited budget (less than $3K) so looking at residential with a 42" cut. Want to buy from local dealer.

Have 3/4 acre lot with house, garage, sheds, trees, flower beds on it. Mow the lawn 1 time per week.
Flat, no hills, ditches or slopes.

Will choose one of the following--You guidance welcomed....

TimeCutterョ SS4200 (74623) 42" 20 HP Kohler

Snapper ZT2142 42" (107 cm) Briggs & Stratton 21 HP

Ariens ZOOM 42 20 HP Kohler Courage

If I had to make a choice between the three the Time cutter would be my first choice, the Ariens would be second. The Snapper I wouldn't consider because it has a B&S for one reason and it's a single cylinder for another.
I've run three different Kohler Courage engines since 2005, a 20hp single cylinder on a LT 1045 and a 22 hp and 20hp on my Cub Cadet ZTR and have never had a problem with any of the three, over 600hrs on each and they've been great engines.

scott47429

scott47429

yes ric i have owned a kohler courage and never again

R

Rivets

If you look around Toro has a Timecutter with a Kawasaki engine, which is the way I would go.

P

possum

If the entire mower, engine and all craps out at the end of the warranty you would have about 27 bucks a cut invested not to include gas and oil. Can ya get anyone to cut 3/4 of an acre for that? Now consider every cut you get over the two year mark will cut that amount per cut down in a hurry. That is your risk, provided you do not tear up anything that the warranty will not cover and you have a decent dealer. Do remember you only hear about the bad ones, not many of the good ones. One thing for sure. If you cannot enjoy your mower and your time mowing, or cannot fire it up without gritting your teeth for fear of a loud clank, do not buy it. One thing a person could do is ask the dealer for a few customers who own the same machine. Go ask the fellow. Or drive around town and watch some folks useing them. Reviews can be mighty muddy. Seeing for yourself is better.

jimrs

jimrs

I have had all three motors and have only had problems with the B&S. Like was said earlier you only hear of the bad ones on these posts. I think you will be ok with what ever you choose.

The main thing about lawn equipment is we sometimes fail to take care of it as when your through mowing you tend to forget service until it's too late. keep the oil changed and check it before starting and don't forget the air filter as it sometimes is forgotten. If you do that you should be happy with your choice.

A

Ariena

Amen and Amen!

Y

YardMonkey

Have narrowed it down to Toro SS4200 and Toro SS4235

Should the fact that one is a 20 HP single cylinder and the other is a Twin V 20HP engine sway me either way...?

.Other than that, both are identical. Difference is about $100 for the Twin cylinder engine...

Probably gonna pull the trigger Monday...

R

Rivets

Twin cylinder engine will run smoother and having worked on both I think that I would spend the extra $$$. That said, you won't be disappointed with either one.

P

percydovetonsils

DO not buy Dixie Chopper Iron Eagle, it is crap!! Rears up, wheels cut hole in lawn, has B&S engine.

Y

YardMonkey

Thanks for all the info provided. I went in to purchase the Toro SS4200, twin cylinder Kohler for $2599
Took test ride and really liked the thing. Never operated a ZTR before so it was like trying to learn to drive all over again.

Sitting next to it was a MX4260 with a Kawasaki engine. A bit more heavy duty and with a welded deck. Was $3599...a bit more than I wanted to spend. Kept going back to it and asked the guy if he had any flexibility on the MX??? (Never hurts to ask)...He asked me what I would be willing to pay to upgrade to the MX? i said, "Maybe $3200". He said was a bit low but would I go up to $3350, with an extra set of blades, first two services (oil change, oil filter, air filter) on the house. I asked him if he would put it on my trailer...he said after they get it "ready to go" they would load it up and I could cut grass with it this afternoon.

Brought it home 3 hours later, practiced on it for a bit, filled the tank, and cut the grass. I ran it on the slow speed just til I get comfortable with it. It cuts magnificently. Better than any cut of my lawn I have ever gotten with a lawn tractor. I did not mulch, just shot the clippings out the chute and it looks there are no clippings to speak of.

Very happy with my new Toro MX4260 and i believe I am going to love using a ZTR.

I am happy with my deal. I guess it is like buying a new truck. Someone is bound to tell me that I paid to much for it...that's okay, I am happy with my deal and my relationship with the local dealer. They treated me really good, and were a wealth of information. Will need a weed eater/trimmer in coming month (mine requires me to work on it every time I use it) and I will buy that at the local dealer also.

R

Rivets

I know you are going to be happy with your new machine. Two things I want to point out. First you said you cut at a slow speed. Always cut with the engine at top speed, just slow down your ground speed for the best cut. Second, I would ask your better half to try it. If she thinks that she could do it if neccessary, you know you bought the right unit.

Y

YardMonkey

I did miss-word my post....I cut at full throttle but at the slower ground speed.
Wife sat on the mower but was a bit afraid of it, said she will try it out in the drive way and gradually work her way into using it. She likes the concept of the zero turn and not constantly having to back up like on the lawn tractor.

Thanks for the encouragement and the tips.

Popeye

Popeye

You made a good choice going up to the 4260 and with the blades and the service. That's a sweet deal.