Want Residential ZTR

YardMonkey

Threads
Looking at Toro residential ZTR's and appears they offer it with the Kohler engine....Are they all bad?
Has anyone had one that they have had no problems with? Is this "No Kohler" that is constantly stated factual or just over kill?

Could look at other types, but have a Toro, Snapper, and Ariens dealer in the area. Got a limited budget (less than $3K) so looking at residential with a 42" cut. Want to buy from local dealer.

Have 3/4 acre lot with house, garage, sheds, trees, flower beds on it. Mow the lawn 1 time per week.
Flat, no hills, ditches or slopes.

Will choose one of the following--You guidance welcomed....

TimeCutterョ SS4200 (74623) 42" 20 HP Kohler

Snapper ZT2142 42" (107 cm) Briggs & Stratton 21 HP

Ariens ZOOM 42 20 HP Kohler Courage

scott47429

Threads
with Toro you wont go wrong great mower and good serving company but if it has the Kohler Courage stay away from that engine the other Kohler engines are ok just not the courage

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
with Toro you wont go wrong great mower and good serving company but if it has the Kohler Courage stay away from that engine the other Kohler engines are ok just not the courage

Have you ever owned a Kohler Courage??

Ariena

Threads
I have an Ariens Zoom 16.5 HP Briggs ZTR. I have a 1/2 acre to cut. This machine built for light duty, is the perfect machine for what I have to do. I just installed the Ariens mulch kit after 4 years without the kit. The difference is fantastic. No more bagging, raking or blowing the lawn. The mulching blades leave the lawn looking manicured. I would recommend this machine to my friends.

m&p45

Threads
Have you ever owned a Kohler Courage??

I've owned the "dreaded" kohler courage 20hp going on 2 seasons on my mtd rider... I've mowed my almost 2 acres about once a week during the mowing season + I mow my mother's 1/4 acre about once a week. So far, knock on wood, no problems at all. I'm satisfied. Thats not to say that if I had know about all the horror stories prior to buying it that I still would have.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looking at Toro residential ZTR's and appears they offer it with the Kohler engine....Are they all bad?
Has anyone had one that they have had no problems with? Is this "No Kohler" that is constantly stated factual or just over kill?

Could look at other types, but have a Toro, Snapper, and Ariens dealer in the area. Got a limited budget (less than $3K) so looking at residential with a 42" cut. Want to buy from local dealer.

Have 3/4 acre lot with house, garage, sheds, trees, flower beds on it. Mow the lawn 1 time per week.
Flat, no hills, ditches or slopes.

Will choose one of the following--You guidance welcomed....

TimeCutterョ SS4200 (74623) 42" 20 HP Kohler

Snapper ZT2142 42" (107 cm) Briggs & Stratton 21 HP

Ariens ZOOM 42 20 HP Kohler Courage

If I had to make a choice between the three the Time cutter would be my first choice, the Ariens would be second. The Snapper I wouldn't consider because it has a B&S for one reason and it's a single cylinder for another.
I've run three different Kohler Courage engines since 2005, a 20hp single cylinder on a LT 1045 and a 22 hp and 20hp on my Cub Cadet ZTR and have never had a problem with any of the three, over 600hrs on each and they've been great engines.

scott47429

Threads
yes ric i have owned a kohler courage and never again

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you look around Toro has a Timecutter with a Kawasaki engine, which is the way I would go.

possum

Threads
If the entire mower, engine and all craps out at the end of the warranty you would have about 27 bucks a cut invested not to include gas and oil. Can ya get anyone to cut 3/4 of an acre for that? Now consider every cut you get over the two year mark will cut that amount per cut down in a hurry. That is your risk, provided you do not tear up anything that the warranty will not cover and you have a decent dealer. Do remember you only hear about the bad ones, not many of the good ones. One thing for sure. If you cannot enjoy your mower and your time mowing, or cannot fire it up without gritting your teeth for fear of a loud clank, do not buy it. One thing a person could do is ask the dealer for a few customers who own the same machine. Go ask the fellow. Or drive around town and watch some folks useing them. Reviews can be mighty muddy. Seeing for yourself is better.