Voltage Regulator Output

amentac

Threads
I have a 25HP intek vtwin in my Craftsman tractor, model number 445777. I recently installed an electric winch and replaced the regular battery with a car battery to provide more power for the winch. I also replaced the ammeter (it was broken) with a voltmeter to check that the battery is charged. I placed the voltmeter across the battery terminals. I'm noticing the voltage varies from 14.3V up to 18V, it does this for a few minutes at each of those levels. I've never had problems with charging with the previous battery, so maybe this is the way it works? 18V seems quite high for charging a battery though.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
These engines comes with multiple stator configs. Some are unregulated and others have regulators. If your engine indeed has a regulator then the output voltage should never rise above 16vdc. If it is the regulated regulated version Briggs does not give the DC output voltages, just the maximum amperage out which is usually 3 amps max.

The regulated systems normally have enough amperage to run most small ATV winches and still keep the battery charged. Output max amperage can be anywhere from 5 amps to 20 amps depending on the setup.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The stator and stock voltage regulator are not designed to charge a car battery or the current draw of a winch. The regulator is probably damaged.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The stator and stock voltage regulator are not designed to charge a car battery or the current draw of a winch. The regulator is probably damaged.
Hammer just be aware the the JD 345 mowers used regular car batteries and the Kawasaki regulators are never damaged by them and the regulators are same used on the smaller lawn mower batteries.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most people don't know what the amp requrements for even small winches are. Even a 2000# atv winch at zero load will exceed the charging systems of most ATV's or other equipment. And just at 500# pull can be 25-30 amp draw. Full load will be close to 120 amp. the regulators will overheat and be damaged in a short period of time. Even people that are using large electric winches for recovery shut off their vehicles when pulling to prevent damaging the alternator on their vehicles.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hammer just be aware the the JD 345 mowers used regular car batteries and the Kawasaki regulators are never damaged by them and the regulators are same used on the smaller lawn mower batteries.
Yes a lot of Deere stuff use automotive type batteries but he says it is a Briggs Intek. I have seen stators and regulators fried with added lights and winches on lawn tractors.

amentac

Threads
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. I think I'll put the old battery back in the tractor and use the car battery to power the winch separately.

Better be safe than sorry!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. I think I'll put the old battery back in the tractor and use the car battery to power the winch separately.

Better be safe than sorry!
I think you missed the point .
The charging system should be able to handle recharging the battery after you have used your winch , depending upon the size of the winch and how often you use it .
A starting battery can provide amps up to the CCA rating of the battery which should be around 250 to 330 for 1 minute or any multiple of that , like 125 A for 2 minutes , 62.5A for 3 minutes etc etc etc.
The limiting factor is the gauge of the wires.
When the winching is over your mower will see a flat battery , 1/2 flat battery etc and will run as long as required to return the battery to fully charged.
Now if you only winch occasionally no real problem
If you do it every day then you will burn out the alternator because it is always running at full output and it is not designed to do that.
If you run the winch with the engine running the alternator will see a massive load & try to provide the power and again burn out in a very short time.
If you talk to an auto electrician then they will tell you the fastest way to wreck your alternator is to run the vehicle with a flat battery .
People who do not try & maintain their batteries over winter & jump start on their first mow will bring their mower to me as it stalls the instant they turn the blades on so they think there is a problem with the PTO clutch .
In reality the alternator is overloaded & can not keep up ( in theory it should be able to but in practice it can't ) so voltage drops & carb solenoid shuts down .
I have probably replaced 100 or so burned out stators & every time the owners admitted they had been running with a flat battery ( because mower batteries are more expensive than car batteries )

amentac

Threads
The car battery would not be connected to the tractor at all. I'll connected to the winch when I need to and re-charge on the bench.

tnx

smalltimerpm

Threads
I think you missed the point .
The charging system should be able to handle recharging the battery after you have used your winch , depending upon the size of the winch and how often you use it .
A starting battery can provide amps up to the CCA rating of the battery which should be around 250 to 330 for 1 minute or any multiple of that , like 125 A for 2 minutes , 62.5A for 3 minutes etc etc etc.
The limiting factor is the gauge of the wires.
When the winching is over your mower will see a flat battery , 1/2 flat battery etc and will run as long as required to return the battery to fully charged.
Now if you only winch occasionally no real problem
If you do it every day then you will burn out the alternator because it is always running at full output and it is not designed to do that.
If you run the winch with the engine running the alternator will see a massive load & try to provide the power and again burn out in a very short time.
If you talk to an auto electrician then they will tell you the fastest way to wreck your alternator is to run the vehicle with a flat battery .
People who do not try & maintain their batteries over winter & jump start on their first mow will bring their mower to me as it stalls the instant they turn the blades on so they think there is a problem with the PTO clutch .
In reality the alternator is overloaded & can not keep up ( in theory it should be able to but in practice it can't ) so voltage drops & carb solenoid shuts down .
I have probably replaced 100 or so burned out stators & every time the owners admitted they had been running with a flat battery ( because mower batteries are more expensive than car batteries )
Most bring the mowers to you due to stall because alternator cannot carry the load? I actually thought pto worked off of battery.? I've came across several that are able to crank and run once jumped due to dead battery but pto would not engage at all cause the battery would not take a charge.