Vintage Briggs, need info

The original part number for the head gasket is 291301, which has been superseded to 27463. Should be available through your local Briggs dealer or repair shop. If not it can be ordered from Jacks Small Engines for about $5.00.
 
That is the type of pulley starter I would expect on my engine, not the recoil starter, just makes me wonder if it's correct.

Do you have it apart? I would like to see the clutch assy. My 6B S will not take a 60102 starter clutch. The crank snout is different.
 
Re: Vintage Briggs, need info, UPDATED

Bert, just look away now, you won't want to see this. I know more than half of you will want to stone me for rebuilding this 54 Briggs. I was able to find all of the engine and carb gaskets so I replaced all of those. Completely broke it down and sandblasted it clean. Refinished, repainted and I love how it turned out. My only decision now is whether to put gas in it and crank it or leave the tank and carb clean for now. It was running great before I broke it down, no reason to believe it won't still run great. Sorry to all of those who hate a rebuilt vintage engine.
 

Attachments

  • 20160121_195904.jpg
    20160121_195904.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20160121_195854.jpg
    20160121_195854.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160121_195840.jpg
    20160121_195840.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20160121_195807.jpg
    20160121_195807.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160121_195823.jpg
    20160121_195823.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 10
In our town we have a club that restores old engines and tractors. Then once a year they put on a 3 day show/flee market in the town park. They always have a big turn out so you aren't alone when it comes to restoring old engines. They always have a lot of the old hit and miss engines at this show and old engines that are very rare. This is farm country and these old engines ran farm equipment back in the early 1900's.
 
Back
Top