Valve clearance

mmoustafa

Threads
Something weird here. Maybe we can get out the Dick Tracy decoder ring and figure it out. Last post you say there was no damage to piston or cylinder when you cleaned and reassembled them. You also say in one of the early posts that as soon as you tried to turn the engine after working on the valves it bound and was difficult to turn. Looking at the pictures it looks like aluminum bits on the piston and a fair sized chunk stuck in the ring that gouged the piston and cylinder. The gouges are fresh. The other scratches on the piston look older and made while the engine was running. Doesn't matter now but where and when did the aluminum bits come from?
So I first took apart the engine, cleaned all the parts, lapped and adjusted valves (I ended up having to do this 3 times), replaced all gaskets and seals, lubricated the parts and assembled.
I didn’t hone the cylinder and I reused the rings. I also had to fill and drain the engine oil twice.
Regarding where the metal pieces came from, I’m not sure, It is possible some foreign objects found their way into the case while I was working on it (even through I was quite thorough in my cleaning), Or that the piston seized and scraped a chunk off the wall in my last attempt to start it with carb spray.
Regarding when the metal pieces were introduced, again I can only speculate, it could be they were in there from the first assembly when the engine was getting stuck, or last Saturday when I adjusted the valves and tried starting it with carb spray...?
I will inspect it again and see what I can find.
Regards.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you clean all of the valve lapping compound up good?