Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Time to cut your losses.
Carb cleaner can be a killer.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try buffing out the damage on the cylinder wall, it is usually just pasted on aluminum, then all you would need is another piston.
If you have to go oversize, the prices go up pretty quick.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
according to parts tree ONLY the .020" over piston is available, and ONLY the STANDARD ring set is available.
Might find some on Ebay.

mmoustafa

Threads
Try buffing out the damage on the cylinder wall, it is usually just pasted on aluminum, then all you would need is another piston.
If you have to go oversize, the prices go up pretty quick.
I’ll try buffing with some emery paper and scotch brite. If that doesn’t work I’ll hone it.
Then I plan to take out the piston and rings from a scrap engine and re-install (NO carby cleaner) I just want to get it working so I’m hoping this will get me over the line...?

Trying to diagnose the problem, I am thinking this could’ve happened because the cylinder wasn’t honed and therefore not well lubricated so the ring got caught in a gouge along the cylinder wall? What do you think?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say that the carb spray caused the lack of lubrication.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That damage was not from the carb cleaner. He said the engine had a tight spot as soon as he rotated the engine after working on the valves. That was the the damage to the piston and cylinder dragging. Aluminum cylinder, no buffing that out. Probably suffered the terminal scoring before he even started working on the valves. RIP rest in pieces.

mmoustafa

Threads
That damage was not from the carb cleaner. He said the engine had a tight spot as soon as he rotated the engine after working on the valves. That was the the damage to the piston and cylinder dragging. Aluminum cylinder, no buffing that out. Probably suffered the terminal scoring before he even started working on the valves. RIP rest in pieces.
Fair enough, I’m probably better off just using the crank case on the scrap engine as well.

But what would’ve caused the scoring in the first place? There were no defects on the cylinder or piston after I cleaned them and I made sure all parts were well lubricated?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Something weird here. Maybe we can get out the Dick Tracy decoder ring and figure it out. Last post you say there was no damage to piston or cylinder when you cleaned and reassembled them. You also say in one of the early posts that as soon as you tried to turn the engine after working on the valves it bound and was difficult to turn. Looking at the pictures it looks like aluminum bits on the piston and a fair sized chunk stuck in the ring that gouged the piston and cylinder. The gouges are fresh. The other scratches on the piston look older and made while the engine was running. Doesn't matter now but where and when did the aluminum bits come from?