Used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep.
Back when i wore short pants, the rich people painted the bottom of their paining fences with creasote ( coal tar oil to some ) .
Us mear mortals painted the fence with used auto oil
Both practices are banned now days by environmentalist who failed science at high school
So some gets used on fences still
The rest goes to a bunker oil processor .
Bunker oil is called bunker oil because it is what ships burn once they are in international waters because diesel is way too expensive
I used to burn it in radiant wall furnaces when I was a practicing metallurgist but even then the EPA disapproved so we were real time monitored while the coke burning cupola in the iron foundry next door could block out the sun with their thick black smoke .
No one reprocesses it now days because the major oil companies did such a good job at convincing the average motorist that using re-refined oil would cause their car to instantly vapourise . same as retreading old tyre cases .
The railways uses a lot of re-refined oil in their locos but those do take quite a few gallons & get changed ( usually only 1/2 or 1/3 ) every month
We have fence posts on our property treated with creosote, still sturdy, while the new "treated" posts are rotting off after 5 years

wrldtvlr

Threads
Many states require that any store selling oil must take used oil back. I'll stop by Walmart or a local quick lube.

rustycat

Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
Here where I live the city has two waist oil dump site's for old oil and antifreeze. They also recycle the oil filters.

ba63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep.
Back when i wore short pants, the rich people painted the bottom of their paining fences with creasote ( coal tar oil to some ) .
Us mear mortals painted the fence with used auto oil
Both practices are banned now days by environmentalist who failed science at high school
So some gets used on fences still
The rest goes to a bunker oil processor .
Bunker oil is called bunker oil because it is what ships burn once they are in international waters because diesel is way too expensive
I used to burn it in radiant wall furnaces when I was a practicing metallurgist but even then the EPA disapproved so we were real time monitored while the coke burning cupola in the iron foundry next door could block out the sun with their thick black smoke .
No one reprocesses it now days because the major oil companies did such a good job at convincing the average motorist that using re-refined oil would cause their car to instantly vapourise . same as retreading old tyre cases .
The railways uses a lot of re-refined oil in their locos but those do take quite a few gallons & get changed ( usually only 1/2 or 1/3 ) every month
My only issue with recycled motor oil is that a five quart jug of it cost more at my local retailer than the jugs of synthetic blend oil I have been using for years. No price incentives to switch. I am all for saving the environment and granted I am no expert on oil processing but I can’t see how filtering out the carbon and spent detergents from used motor oil could possibly cost the oil companies more than refining crude? Recapped tire quality has a great deal to do with the recapper. If they cut corners, the treads just fall off or blow out! If you were ever driving a car at 70 mph when a poorly recapped tire decided to separate or blow out, I am willing to bet you wouldn’t be a fan of them anymore! The American interstate highway systems are littered with bands and chunks of separated recapped tire treads from semi truck trailers.

Majestor

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
My waste collection site has a 500 gallon used motor oil tank that gets collected when it gets full. When I change oil in my yard equipment I always dump it into a 5 gallon bucket with a seal lid which I take to the collection site to empty. Just a little part to help keep the environment cleaner for my grandchildren.

ESully

Threads
Here in NY it's easy, all the service and auto parts stores have to take it free. This includes Home Depot and Lowes since they sell oil. Metal oil filters need a hole punched in them to drain excess oil and then are disposed of. Two shops by me have waste oil heaters and use them to keep the shop warm. The heating units are designed to remove water. They do have to pay to have excess picked up by a waste oil company. If the waste oil company detects gasoline mixed in with the oil there is an extra charge. There is also a waste site in the County where you can drop off anything from oil, paint, refrigeration, and electronics for safe disposal.

Tdj2591

Threads
I take mine to either AutoZone or Jiffy Lube. I believe they are required to take it.

Denali94

Forum Newbie
Threads
They would not want this stuff since it has water and gas along with the oil
If you are talking about folks with waste oil burners not wanting your used oil you would be mistaken. We have two Clean Burn burners which handle everything we feed them except brake fluid. Hydraulic fluid, conventional/synthetic motor oils and solvents keep the shops toasty warm. The little bit of gas we get is not an issue and we get more water from condensation in our tanks than from any oil change scenario, but even that is not a problem. We usually make it through the winter using the waste oil we generate but do accept about 50 gallons a year from some local DIY types. They can toss their filters in with ours that we take to an EPA registered dealer once a year. Just another farmer trying to be a good neighbor.

Freddie21

Threads
Take it to auto parts store or local county transfer facilities for recycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.